Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Icon for Night Climbs

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm

I still think it's a great idea... Just sayin'...
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby ameristrat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 pm

I Man wrote:If you want a good response, head over to Teton Gravity - tell them you've hiked half of the CO 14ers and ask if you are ready for Cassin Ridge =D>

Poor guy. But in all seriousness, it is ludicrous to think I am looking for a way to boast. I don't have any accomplishments worth boasting about! I figured if there was a little icon for solo hiking, why not night hiking? You could make a solid argument that a hike or climb at night would be equally or more difficult than a solo hike during the day. I also figured I would get an entertaining thread - it was funny to talk about last night while hiking, so why not again?

What I didn't foresee was that my suggestion would be perceived as a desperate attempt to make myself look extremely accomplished and arrogant. At best, I've just graduated from 'beginner' and I'm very aware of that fact. One of the great things about this site is that there is a wealth of information and experience in the people that you meet - something that I have been the recipient of and hope to be able to pass along in the future.

Anna in your humor, you made a pretty good point. If we wanted to add icons for things like this, what's to stop a plethora of others that make the whole thing less meaningful or helpful in the long run. Definitely a good thought.

On the flipside, what's wrong with keeping a list? Any of you who have completed the 14ers probably didn't do it by accident. I don't get outside for checklists, I take trips to make memories - to enjoy the outdoors we've been blessed to be surrounded by - to meet people and create friendships. I find it hard to imagine anyone could be motivated enough to hike a flight of stairs just to check a box online.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:45 pm

ameristrat wrote:
I Man wrote:If you want a good response, head over to Teton Gravity - tell them you've hiked half of the CO 14ers and ask if you are ready for Cassin Ridge =D>

Poor guy. But in all seriousness, it is ludicrous to think I am looking for a way to boast. I don't have any accomplishments worth boasting about! I figured if there was a little icon for solo hiking, why not night hiking? You could make a solid argument that a hike or climb at night would be equally or more difficult than a solo hike during the day. I also figured I would get an entertaining thread - it was funny to talk about last night while hiking, so why not again?

What I didn't foresee was that my suggestion would be perceived as a desperate attempt to make myself look extremely accomplished and arrogant. At best, I've just graduated from 'beginner' and I'm very aware of that fact. One of the great things about this site is that there is a wealth of information and experience in the people that you meet - something that I have been the recipient of and hope to be able to pass along in the future.

Anna in your humor, you made a pretty good point. If we wanted to add icons for things like this, what's to stop a plethora of others that make the whole thing less meaningful or helpful in the long run. Definitely a good thought.

On the flipside, what's wrong with keeping a list? Any of you who have completed the 14ers probably didn't do it by accident. I don't get outside for checklists, I take trips to make memories - to enjoy the outdoors we've been blessed to be surrounded by - to meet people and create friendships. I find it hard to imagine anyone could be motivated enough to hike a flight of stairs just to check a box online.

I think you're missing a bit of the backstory here. When the snowflake icons were introduced last winter it was a hot-button (see what I did there?) topic. We spent whole work days passionately debating whether they were needed or a just a shameless ploy for members to spray their accomplishments. Also discussed were people ticking snowflakes for "winter-like" climbs in November and whether snowflakes from the 2011-12 winter counted. So, yeah, when you post about possibly adding yet another icon, people are probably going to have some fun with it. The regular posters here can be a caustic bunch.

Don't take it personally. I, for one, didn't perceive much arrogance in your post. I was just having a few laughs.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby B[3] » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:03 pm

We did Lincoln-Cameron-Bross (had previously summited Democrat) as a night hike in early June 2009 and thought a night hike was the way to go with these. Positive: no crowds; negative: very difficult to discern the summit of Bross.

While we're discussing icons, how about an icon for strong winds? (picture could be of someone being blown off a mountain)
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:11 pm

B[3] wrote:We did Lincoln-Cameron-Bross (had previously summited Democrat) as a night hike in early June 2009 and thought a night hike was the way to go with these. Positive: no crowds; negative: very difficult to discern the summit of Bross.

You can't tell where the summit is in the daylight either :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby ameristrat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:15 pm

THE REAL SUMMIT IS OFF LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X :-D
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:15 pm

anna wrote:I'm aiming for the highest ratio of sarcastic to serious posts.

Challenge accepted. I'm pretty sure I have a sizable lead.

anna wrote:Climb a mountain or don't. Tick off checkmarks and icons off a list or don't. It's all good. Some people enoy the minutiae of every little detail and list, some don't. Do what you enjoy. Life is too short not to. :-D

This should pop up everytime someone logs into the site, like a private message notification.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby d_baker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 pm

What I want to know is how the hell do you get to highlight the subject line?! Now that stands out. My next 'look at me' thread I start, I'll try to remember that, if someone will please, please, tell me how.
Otherwise, carry on with your conversation about icons.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:13 pm

d_baker wrote:What I want to know is how the hell do you get to highlight the subject line?! Now that stands out. My next 'look at me' thread I start, I'll try to remember that, if someone will please, please, tell me how.

When you figure that out, be sure to let I Man know how to do it. :lol: Just giving you crap, Mr. G.
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby d_baker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 pm

SilverLynx wrote:
d_baker wrote:What I want to know is how the hell do you get to highlight the subject line?! Now that stands out. My next 'look at me' thread I start, I'll try to remember that, if someone will please, please, tell me how.

When you figure that out, be sure to let I Man know how to do it. :lol: Just giving you crap, Mr. G.

Matty is getting a lot of love from the ladies in this thread....is it because when you say his username it makes you think of a knuckle-dragging caveman kind of guy, that stands proudly and beats his chest and says, "I Man." ??
That connotation only became apparent after he dropped the 86.....you know, when he became a born-again mountaineer.

(friendly caustic jabs, Mr. Man)

Postby ameristrat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Just post in this section of the forum and it automatically highlights. Otherwise I would not have done that haha

Postby Papillon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:47 pm

For night climbs will you have to start and finish in the dark? Let's say you do a long route and have no chance of getting back to your car before dawn. Do you have to strategically do a vampiric day time bivy and finish the hike the next night in order for it to be legit?

What about hangover ascents? While a toilet bowl icon would be the obvious choice, I think a shaking hand would be more apropos.

william blake wrote:The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

PreviousNext