Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Icon for Night Climbs

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby Upstate Hiker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:people will know how awesome we are at first glance

Wearing pins is for sissies. My checklist is on permanent display, like this:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2lqbky-cSgg/TAP8g_JzAFI/AAAAAAAADi8/7eCAtDUYdFo/Angelina-Jolie-tattoos-Geography-coordinates-Tattoo.jpg

Can we tattoo the names of our partners too? I think we should get some matching ink!

Postby metalmountain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Tattoos are lame...

Branding is the new thing. Don't be wussies.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby crossfitter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Who needs snowflakes, why not just bullet list every accomplishment in your signature? It's the only way to be sure that no one will mistake you for a noob rather than an elite mountaineer if they forget to mouse-over your name.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:27 pm

crossfitter wrote:Who needs snowflakes, why not just bullet list every accomplishment in your signature? It's the only way to be sure that no one will mistake you for a noob rather than an elite mountaineer if they forget to mouse-over your name.

A very good 666th post, crossfitta

666.JPG
666.JPG (77.68 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby nkan02 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:39 pm

crossfitter wrote:Who needs snowflakes, why not just bullet list every accomplishment in your signature? It's the only way to be sure that no one will mistake you for a noob rather than an elite mountaineer if they forget to mouse-over your name.

SurfNTurf wrote:Let's take this up a notch. Bill, how about you make physical pins for us? Then we can wear them to the Happy Hours, to work, in the shower, etc. and people will know how awesome we are at first glance. I won't be happy unless I look like a five-star general.

Wow, you guys are having a field day around here. :lol:

Surf - I thought you said you were not going to shower since you are heading to Boulder soon. :-#

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Feh. Checklists and icons are too mainstream.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:51 pm

ameristrat wrote:My God, people, I was half kidding / half throwing the idea around. It's clearly not popular, but no need to crucify me.

A proper crucifixion can be found here
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby I Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Dave B wrote:
ameristrat wrote:My God, people, I was half kidding / half throwing the idea around. It's clearly not popular, but no need to crucify me.

A proper crucifixion can be found here

People who Boulder more than once a month usually die in their first year of climbing.

If you want a good response, head over to Teton Gravity - tell them you've hiked half of the CO 14ers and ask if you are ready for Cassin Ridge =D>
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby SeracZack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:58 pm

I Man wrote:People who Boulder more than once a month usually die in their first year of climbing.

FACT.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:01 pm

I don't look at the checklists as an accomplishment boast, I think its nice to see what peaks are done in what circumstances because it can help with planning. If anything, we should have a summary of the icons similar to the overall statistics - what are the most popular winter? ski? night? etc. Right now the overall summary stats say Longs is the most favorited, Grays the most climbed first and overall, but what is the most climbed in winter, or the most skied? I don't know, maybe that stuff wouldn't be that useful, just because a peak is climbed a lot in winter doesn't mean its the safest winter peak, but how useful is knowing what peak is the most "first climbed" either? According to LOJ's grid presentation, January is the 4th most popular month to climb Quandary after June, July and August. More people climb it in winter months combined that do so in fall months combined. I guess I just find that sort of stuff interesting, and think it would be cool to see more of.

I guess all I am trying to say is that stats are just fun for peak nerds like me to waste our time looking at :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby dehrlich101 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:I don't look at the checklists as an accomplishment boast, I think its nice to see what peaks are done in what circumstances because it can help with planning. If anything, we should have a summary of the icons similar to the overall statistics - what are the most popular winter? ski? night? etc. Right now the overall summary stats say Longs is the most favorited, Grays the most climbed first and overall, but what is the most climbed in winter, or the most skied? I don't know, maybe that stuff wouldn't be that useful, just because a peak is climbed a lot in winter doesn't mean its the safest winter peak, but how useful is knowing what peak is the most "first climbed" either? According to LOJ's grid presentation, January is the 4th most popular month to climb Quandary after June, July and August. More people climb it in winter months combined that do so in fall months combined. I guess I just find that sort of stuff interesting, and think it would be cool to see more of.

I guess all I am trying to say is that stats are just fun for peak nerds like me to waste our time looking at :lol:

Agreed!
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby Lemmiwinks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:50 pm

After mousing-over your name, I can see that you are a total noob.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

PreviousNext