Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are the 14ers Next?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Are the 14ers Next?

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:07 pm

painless4u2 wrote:So if I virtually climbed a 14er in January, I'd get a snowflake for my avatar? Always wanted one of those. Cool!

winter virtual.jpg
winter virtual.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby Above+Beyond » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:17 pm

> Aug_Dog wrote: Let it go, Google. There is a reason we go out into the wild.

Maybe we could, unbeknownst to them, slip Apple's iMap app into their beta, so they'd get lost.

And beauty will go savage in the secret mountains. - Robinson Jeffers

Postby dereferenced » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:49 am

The camera is not that hard to carry around, it's just a 40 pound pack, so none of the 14ers would be out of reach. I do suspect that there are a lot of more accessible and more famous places that will be photographed before this ends up on colorado summits.

I have mixed feelings, personally, on whether it's a good thing. Sometimes I climb mountains, I like to shoot panoramas from the summits, and I like to share these. For me, that whole process is positive, experiencing a place, enjoying the view, showing it to other people and maybe getting them interested in climbing. Google doing the same thing on a larger scale could be positive too. It's not doing anything intrinsically different than guide books, trip reports, etc. It's a lot more data but it seems a bit too literal for inspiration, like a trip report with a thousand consecutive photographs but no text. Maybe there's some good ways to augment it.

Would you think differently about it, if it were pictures from foreign mountains you were unlikely to visit? Or for some famous mountain you want to climb once in your life?
Last edited by dereferenced on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:43 pm

dereferenced wrote:Would you think differently about it, if it were pictures from foreign mountains you were unlikely to visit? Or for some famous mountain you want to climb once in your life?

Interesting point. I think a lot of people who would use something like this would, in a way, view 14ers as foreign whether they live in Tulsa or London or Denver. People who want to climb 14ers will do so, if those who don't decide to play around with google's feature then really, who cares? Despite claims that "its just like the real thing", I think we all know the difference. Buying the Longs Peak benchmark pin at the visitor center isn't the same as seeing the real one at the summit.

I don't really see anything to get upset over. Its a bit of a stretch to say this will detract from the wilderness experience, for some reason I don't feel a sense of wilderness staring at a computer screen. 14ers were discovered a long time ago; but you rediscover them by actually being there, not through thousands of photographs.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby gcoldewey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:26 pm

This is interesting to me since just last week I hiked both of these trails (Bright Angel and South Kaibab) spending the night at Phantom Ranch. I don't see how this changes anything for me and others that want to experience these things first hand. It does however allow my 76 year old mother who is totally incapable of hiking these trails see what we saw and to the degree possible with photo's "experience" an amazing place. The same would be true for a 14er or any other wild place.

Just a fun factoid, approximately 5 million people a year visit Grand Canyon, and less than 1% will see the bottom first hand. The average time a visitor spends looking at the canyon is 17 minutes.

Previous