Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GOOGLE TREKKER

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Google Street View classic 14er trails

Postby peter303 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 am

Google is photographing classic trails in national parks according to an article I read in Wired and NPR.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/google-trekker-backpack-maps-the-grand-canyon/
I suspect 14ers may not be that far behind. Basically you'll be able to move a pointer over a map to see a panoramic view from that point. You can do this of most Denver streets already.

I am not sure what benefits or drawbacks assembling this info will have. Maybe it could provide context for guidebooks or trip diaries. Maybe it will entice even more unprepared people on to the trails.

One thing they wont capture is the exertion. I propose displaying a cartoon face to the side which changes color according to exertion: white, yellow, orange, red, and purple depending on slope, altitude, and trail quality. :?

[Thanks for merging these threads, editor]

Re: GOOGLE TREKKER

Postby MonGoose » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:59 am

In a few more years, there will be nothing left to explore.

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:43 am

MonGoose wrote:In a few more years, there will be nothing left to explore.

I hardly think that's true. Many of the people I know don't even know what's in the creek behind their house let alone in a remote wilderness area.

Sure, google is intrusive and added to GoPros and all the electronic gadgets available it will get worse. But step off of the beaten path and there's always room for discovery, even in your own backyard.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Matt » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Maybe in a few more years, there will be no one left exploring.
People already spend far too much time (IMO) staring into a screen instead of exploring and interacting with the world or people around them.
This is getting more pronounced with time, not less.
Then again, that would mean fewer crowds in the mountains. \:D/
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Waggs » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:34 pm

But think of the photo-bomb opportunities!

Bikini clad saquatches (sasquatchi?) having a kegger on the trail.

Could DEFINITELY have some fun!

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby nyker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 am

I think this would be good for including on a screen for a treadmill or stairmaster at the gym to make training more interesting (which is already being done), but agree, let's leave the wild as is, unless SAR can benefit from this technology...

Postby metalmountain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 am

Matt wrote:

Maybe in a few more years, there will be no one left exploring.
People already spend far too much time (IMO) staring into a screen instead of exploring and interacting with the world or people around them.
This is getting more pronounced with time, not less.
Then again, that would mean fewer crowds in the mountains. \:D/

+1
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem