Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Icon for Night Climbs

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Icon for Night Climbs

Postby ameristrat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:42 am

Bill,

We were talking last night on a hike up Bierstadt and decided that it would be excellent if there was a little icon (a'la solo hike / winter climb) on the peak list for a night climb.

Perhaps a crescent moon? A little star?

Could we add this? I really need something else to make me feel special... :-D
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby I Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 am

ameristrat wrote:Bill,

We were talking last night on a hike up Bierstadt and decided that it would be excellent if there was a little icon (a'la solo hike / winter climb) on the peak list for a night climb.

[-( [-X
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby ameristrat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:46 am

You're just upset you couldn't join us!

Postby metalmountain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:47 am

I Man wrote:

[-( [-X

Hehehe...
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Upstate Hiker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:51 am

I did promise that everyone on the hike could have a gold star, and I try to keep my word. Come on Bill!

Postby SeracZack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:53 am

Where's Dueces when you need him?
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby I Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 am

metalmountain wrote:
I Man wrote:

[-( [-X

Hehehe...

I Man does not approve of your Avatar change. Long Live O - Prime!!

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby metalmountain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 am

I Man wrote:

Is this better?
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby I Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:59 am

He Who Changes His Avatar Too much wrote:
I Man wrote:

Is this better?

No. ](*,)

Postby Upstate Hiker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:03 am

Don't listen to them Teddy. They're just jealous that they didn't pioneer the newest trendiest 14er list. Its all fun and games until I'm first to complete all the 14ers under the cover of darkness and get featured in Alpinist.

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:04 am

Mr. ameristrat, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby ameristrat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 am

Mr. SurfNTurf,

Well quoted. But I'm with Jen - if you were a pioneer, you'd understand the need. :-D
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Next