Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are the 14ers Next?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Are the 14ers Next?

Postby Climbdent » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Saw this interesting/weird article reading the news tonight:

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-grand-canyon-20121026,0,4335732.story

I wonder if the 14ers are trade route mountains are next?

Re: Are the 14ers Next?

Postby Mtn Geek » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Interesting article. They only did 2 trails in the GC (so far). I would have to imagine that only some of the 14ers would be done, not all of them, such as Elbert, Grays, Torries, Bierstadt and other of the common ones. I cannot perceive that 14ers like Capitol, Little Bear, or the Maroon Bells would ever have this done.

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Why not? The 14ers are one of the better-known mountain climbing lists. YouTube is already full of videos of the Knife Edge and such. Just make the camera apparatus a little smaller so you can wear it as a helmet.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby peter303 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:06 am

Last edited by peter303 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:10 am

Other than Pikes Peak, most people don't know about any Colorado mountains, so it will be the first one, IMO (with Longs probably second). But before they get to many others they'll be doing Whitney, Rainier, Half Dome, the Appalachian Trail, etc.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Aug_Dog » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:07 am

Let it go, Google. There is a reason we go out into the wild.
Go get it

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 am

Google Streetview can't replace the smell of pine needles when I open my door at the trail head.
Google Streetview can't capture the warmth of alpenglow above treelike
Google Streetview can't replicate the sound of a frozen alpine lake cracking as it thaws under the afternoon sun.
Google Streetview can't wake me up and invigorate me like a strong gust of arctic wind.
Google Streetview can't duplicate the taste of freshly filtered snowpack melt.

Google Streetview can't spoil the mountain because there is more to the mountain than what we see with our eyes.

This is as it ever was. When technology creeps into wilderness we have to go deeper into the wilds to find isolation. I, for one, welcome that challenge.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 am

tlongpine wrote:Google Streetview can't replace the smell of pine needles when I open my door at the trail head.
Google Streetview can't replicate the sound of a frozen alpine lake cracking as it thaws under the afternoon sun.
Google Streetview can't wake me up and invigorate me like a strong gust of arctic wind.

Google Streetview can't spoil the mountain because there is more to the mountain than what we see with our eyes.

This is as it ever was. When technology creeps into wilderness we have to go deeper into the wilds to find isolation. I, for one, welcome that challenge.

Sure, but it can make route planning a bit easier.

(I cant imagine a life without birdseye on bing maps)
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby Floyd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 am

Aug_Dog wrote:Let it go, Google. There is a reason we go out into the wild.

That would require you to consider the Barr, Grays Peak, or even the Kaibob trails as "wild".
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 am

tlongpine wrote:Google Streetview can't replace the smell of pine needles when I open my door at the trail head.

Google Streetview can't duplicate having your cached gear shredded by a marmot.
Google Streetview can't duplicate having your brake lines chewed through by a porcupine.
Google Streetview can't replicate the agony of that raw half-dollar-sized blister on your heel.
Google Streetview can't convey the sheer terror of being on a talus field at 13,000 feet during a lightning storm.
Google Streetview can't simulate the raging two-day headache after your first trip to altitude in six months.
Google Streetview can't replicate the experience of being carried for hours in a Stokes litter when you've been hurt.
Google Streetview can't replicate a steaming pile on a cold morning.
Google Streetview can't replicate the sensation you get realizing you forgot your hand sanitizer.
Google Streetview can't replicate falling asleep on the long drive home after a physically exhausting climb.

Why yes, I have been accused of being a cynic. How did you know?

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:

Google Streetview can't duplicate having your cached gear shredded by a marmot.
Google Streetview can't duplicate having your brake lines chewed through by a porcupine.
Google Streetview can't replicate the agony of that raw half-dollar-sized blister on your heel.
Google Streetview can't convey the sheer terror of being on a talus field at 13,000 feet during a lightning storm.
Google Streetview can't simulate the raging two-day headache after your first trip to altitude in six months.
Google Streetview can't replicate the experience of being carried for hours in a Stokes litter when you've been hurt.
Google Streetview can't replicate a steaming pile on a cold morning.
Google Streetview can't replicate the sensation you get realizing you forgot your hand sanitizer.
Google Streetview can't replicate falling asleep on the long drive home after a physically exhausting climb.

Why yes, I have been accused of being a cynic. How did you know?

Your luck is awful.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 pm

Aug_Dog wrote:Let it go, Google. There is a reason we go out into the wild.

plus one ......

Next