Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter ski mountaineering partners

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Winter ski mountaineering partners

Postby ulvetano » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Darn, I think I'm missing this month's Denver happy hour. But if anyone is attending either tomorrow night's Boulder Adventure Film Fest kick-off at Patagonia (also 7-10), I'll be there.
I'm hoping to also hit up some films either fri/sat, or both, or the mountains and cold temps might be calling my name. (Humbolt and Crestone peak...hmmm...)

http://www.adventurefilm.org/film_festival/boulder/Events.aspx

Postby Lightspeed82 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Hey man,
I live in Boulder, Colorado but will be moving up to silverthorne in december. I'd love to ski/tour some moderate-more difficult 14ers or any cool line that sparks our interest. I have taken avy 1, am a strong skier, but definitely have a lot to learn still about avalanches even with all the necessary safety tools. Hit me up as soon as the snow flies to set up a tour/descent. PM me to get a phone number

Postby ulvetano » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey All. I am going to host the ski movie (I'll either pull out one of my favorites, or grab a new one) that I mentioned in the OP. This Thursday at 7pm, if you want to join, let me know. We'll either watch it in my condo association 'theatre' or in my place (3701 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder), but either way, I can't host a ton of peeps. So, first 10 RSVP's via PM are on the list and I'll email everyone directions. Cheers!

Postby Upstate Hiker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Dang it! I'm catering until 9pm Thursday night. BOO!

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:50 pm

That's Ladies Ski Mountaineering night at Neptune... I'll be heading there to see Christy Mahon's talk \:D/
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby ulvetano » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Hmm, well in deference to that
bergsteigen wrote:That's Ladies Ski Mountaineering night at Neptune... I'll be heading there to see Christy Mahon's talk \:D/

I can easily do Friday night, 11/2. It might just be a tad harder to get up for a Sat morning climb, but that's fine! 11/2 it is, so hopefully it's not an all guys event!
Last edited by ulvetano on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby nkan02 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

bergsteigen wrote:That's Ladies Ski Mountaineering night at Neptune... I'll be heading there to see Christy Mahon's talk \:D/

Wow, that looks great - thanks for the heads up! I'll try to change my calendar to be there as well.

Postby Snowgirl » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm

nkan02 wrote:

Wow, that looks great - thanks for the heads up! I'll try to change my calendar to be there as well.

That's my plan. A little dangerous, because it's the day after I get paid :shock: and I might be tempted to write checks my grad school budget can't cash...
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Hmmm...

I thought the locations of these things were discussed only through PMs.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby ChicagoMike » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:41 pm

I am a little late to this thread, but I live in Platt Park in Denver. I typically ski Berthoud Pass for tours and quick day trips on the weekends but I love to ski off peaks particularly later in the season once the snow stabilizes. I would love to expand my circle of ski partners with folks always having kids moving, etc.

Postby livetothemax96 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Hey guys,

I'm with Chicago Mike, a little bit late, been away from the computer for too long! But yeah, I really only have one partner right now (MikeO) and I'm definitely down to meet some other skiers sometime! I'm not the fastest climber, nor the most likely to make a summit (I have a very low % of summits in the snowy months, but I'm getting better!). As far as skiing, I just go where the snow is, passes and fun couloirs, I really like IPW and RMNP and want to get out and ski some couloirs this winter/spring, and then going hardcore into 14ers come the spring because of my newest goal. Feel free to pm me if you want to get out! ps. I'm 16 and can't drive yet, so that might be a little issue, but I'm down to car pool!
whats life unless you live it?

Postby scramble » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 am

Yes! Also late to the thread. Wish I could make the movie night... have been watching so many youtube trailers lately ;-) Ian we should get out again. I don't mind giving you a lift.

Last year was my first year in the backcountry. Wow skiing down mountains is kind of the best thing ever! I took AIARE I, but feel like I could use some more practice searching for buried backpacks, so actually if anybody wants to find a day to do some beacon/probe/digging practice, I'd be down.

I'd love to learn from others about safety, technique and HOW TO FIND THE GOODS. Especially in the Indian Peaks and Rocky Mountain NP!

PreviousNext