Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Denali Sleeping Bag

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Denali Sleeping Bag

Postby mts4602 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:32 am

I'm trying to decide on a sleeping bag for Denali, between getting a -25 or a -40 degree bag.

I sleep COLD so I'm wondering if I should just go with the warmest bag I can find or if that's just stupid. I know if I get the -25 bag I can wear more of my clothes when I sleep like my parka if necessary. From looking around at the various guide services they recommend from -20 to -30>.

I'd like to use the bag for other big mtns and I'm thinking a -40 bag might be less useful than a -25.

What has been your experience?

Thanks!

Matt
Matt

Re: Denali Sleeping Bag

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:52 am

I'd go with the -25, as long as it's a "true -25", like the Western Mountaineering Puma. My wife sleeps cold too, and her -10 WM was really just enough for her on Denali (I was ready to swap w/ her, her using my -25 on any given night if necessary, and it was never necessary even though we did get down to -25 a time or two).

Postby mts4602 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:57 am

climbing_rob wrote:I'd go with the -25, as long as it's a "true -25", like the Western Mountaineering Puma. My wife sleeps cold too, and her -10 WM was really just enough for her on Denali (I was ready to swap w/ her, her using my -25 on any given night if necessary, and it was never necessary even though we did get down to -25 a time or two).

Yeah I was looking at Western Mountaineering..
Matt

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:58 am

It also has to do with your tent and how many folks are in it, of course. We used a MHW Trango-4, with three warm bodies in it. A solo, single wall tent, for example, would run a tad cooler. Also: the sleeping pad (its R value) is hugely important.

Postby Kiefer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:28 am

Pretty much everything what Rob said.
I used a -20 MHW Wraith. It's discontinued now I believe.
Had two pads: a standard foam pad and a baffled air core. I slept wonderfully all 11 nights we were on the mountain. Never had an issue with the cold.
Unless you're looking at Himalayan and further trips to Alaska, -40 will probably be overkill. But definitely don't scrimp on the sleeping pads.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby AndyJB444 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 am

I tend to sleep cold, and also used a -20 Wraith from MH on Denali - the inflatable pad + foam pad combo is key too!

If you do get a super cold night you can always throw on your puffy gear for a little extra warmth...oh, and cook up some bacon. MMM, bacon. ;)

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:53 am

mts4602 wrote:...the warmest bag I can find...

I know that this wouldn't be an option for you, but I couldn't resist:

http://www.chichesterinc.com/AmundsenSleepingBags.htm

Reindeer hide sleeping bags used to be the warmest that you could get. And about 100 years ago they did work for the three people who survived probably the coldest conditions experienced by modern man, outside of a proper shelter, to that point.

However, I'm guessing that a down bag could be made nowadays that would surpass the insulating properties of reindeer hide.

:-"
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby Gabriel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:06 pm

I used a -40 Marmot cwm. It was plenty warm for my high camp 18'200 just below Denali pass, but has been way too much bag for South America and the Himalayas.

G

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:46 pm

I've used a -50 bag for a variety of winter trips in Alaska (mostly in the Delta Range), but I tend to get cold easily. I also used the bag as a way to warm up after getting severely chilled.

You may want to test your sleeping system here in Colorado, if it gets cold enough somewhere. Best way to tell if it's adequate for your needs, before you get on the mountain!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Jaw825 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 pm

I used the Western Mountaineering WS Puma on Denali and was fine. I tend to get cold easily and the bag did a great job of keeping me warm. I would highly recommend the WS. Its a little bit heavier, but the out in the morning keeps the down from getting soaked with morning condensation on the bag. Light for a bag with that low of rating too.

Postby coloradokevin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:04 am

I haven't been up Denali, so I'll leave those recommendations to someone else. I can say that I believe Western Mountaineering is quite conservative with their temperature ratings. I have the Puma SDL bag, and mine is about ten years old (when they were rating this bag -20F... the new ones with that name go -25F, I believe). Anyway, I've had that bag out in -25F temperatures on mountains before, and was perfectly warm and comfortable.

Postby Aardvark » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:31 am

My friend who summitted Denali this spring bought the -40 bag just for that trip and then sold it afterward. Since he went early season (started on 29 Apr) and spent 25 days on the mountain, he was quite happy with his decision.

Next