Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Vail gondola

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Vail gondola

Postby Dan_Suitor » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 am

coloradokevin wrote:Vail certainly has some other issues, and the $25 parking is at the top of the list for me. 10 "free" days at Vail on a season pass sounds nice, until you realize that those 10 days actually cost you $250 in parking.

A little known Vail trick. There is free shuttle parking from West Vail. You just have to get there early to get a spot, and time the bus so you are not waiting too long.

Postby jblyth » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:23 am

Dan_Suitor wrote:
coloradokevin wrote:Vail certainly has some other issues, and the $25 parking is at the top of the list for me. 10 "free" days at Vail on a season pass sounds nice, until you realize that those 10 days actually cost you $250 in parking.

A little known Vail trick. There is free shuttle parking from West Vail. You just have to get there early to get a spot, and time the bus so you are not waiting too long.

You can also park by the Safeway in East Vail and take the bus into town. As Dan says, you have to get there early or the spots fill up. Also, make sure you take the fast bus (I believe it is the red line). If you take the slow one it takes forever. It takes a bit more time, but you save the parking fees.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:45 am

The Safeway is West Vail. You need to walk behind the Safeway to pick up the Green Bus to get there fastest. (Green to go, Red to come home)

Green pick up is around 15 or 45 after the hour. The Red leaves the village top and bottom of the hour.

You can get off the Green at the bridge to Lionshead and go up that way as well, the chair next to Eagle Bahn usually has almost no line. Just beware that a ton of people get on at Timber Ridge (employee housing) so sit near the door if you plan on getting off there.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby rickinco123 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:46 am

tommyboy360 wrote:
SkiBikeClimb99 wrote:IIf A-Basin and the Butte got enough snow, then I'd only ski them, but quite frankly I don't like buying new skis every year. Hopefully this year will be different from the last 2.

In California, I actually had a rock set of gear. IMO, rock gear never makes sense in Colorado. Steep terrain in Colorado will ALWAYS involve rock skiing. Learn to tune or buy new gear. It's essential for how little snow we get compared to the rest of the west. Seriously, if you haven't been to UTAH, WYOMING, CALIFORNIA, OREGON, WASHINGTON, BC Canada... you better start trip planning. Colorado is FAR from the best skiing in the west. The name "epic" pass makes me laugh. FAR FROM IT.

Unless you blow an edge, running over rocks wont ruin your skis, P-tex and go, no big deal.

Postby jblyth » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:59 am

Chicago Transplant wrote:The Safeway is West Vail. You need to walk behind the Safeway to pick up the Green Bus to get there fastest. (Green to go, Red to come home)

Green pick up is around 15 or 45 after the hour. The Red leaves the village top and bottom of the hour.

You can get off the Green at the bridge to Lionshead and go up that way as well, the chair next to Eagle Bahn usually has almost no line. Just beware that a ton of people get on at Timber Ridge (employee housing) so sit near the door if you plan on getting off there.

Yup, what he said...thanks for correcting my bad info CT :-D

Postby YonderMountain » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:50 am

Postby davebks » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Right... but the new gondola sucks huh?? ;)

Postby SkiBikeClimb99 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Well, free parking at Vail just went to hell. Colorado skiing really does suck. I don't know why I'm wasting my time here. I'm going to sell everything I own and live out of my van to ski the real stuff.

Oh wait, sorry, my turrets just kicked in. Let me get back to watching The Dream Factory.

Postby SkiBikeClimb99 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Let's throw some dogs and guns to this discussion as well...

I'm dope.

Oh, yeah? I'm doper.

MSP Claim

Postby luca_brasi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:53 pm

I've been away from this forum for a while but I'm not surprised that the 'anti-Vail' and 'anti-I-70' arguments are still as strong as ever. Really you all must have little problems in life if your biggest problem is having thousands of acres of controlled ski terrain within 100 miles of an American metropolis of 2 million people, and a corporation (which anyone is free to buy shares of, BTW) that has invested billions to give you access to it.

If you have a problem living in the Front Range--where you can make at least $50k, buy a house for $150/sqft, and a ski pass for $600--then you are welcome to move to a remote ski town like Telluride or Aspen where you can make $25k, buy a house for $500/sqft, and pay $1400 for a ski pass.

Postby davebks » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 am

you are all pretty funny.
I was merely stating that I think the new gondola was a bad decision for business and for skiing.
Its like having a talk about road biking in Colorado. It starts with a discussion and ends up being a pissing match.

This was a chat about the new gondola, not about hating the front range, skiing on i70, or anything like that.
Let's keep on topic please.

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:14 am

davebks wrote:you are all pretty funny.
I was merely stating that I think the new gondola was a bad decision for business and for skiing.
Its like having a talk about road biking in Colorado. It starts with a discussion and ends up being a pissing match.

This was a chat about the new gondola, not about hating the front range, skiing on i70, or anything like that.
Let's keep on topic please.

Unfortunately (and fortunately), if you utter the word "Vail", similar in nature to guns or dogs, this is the kind of stuff that is going to ensue.

PreviousNext