Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Layering system?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Winter Layering system?

Postby peter303 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:42 am

bking14ers wrote:Ok this a dumb question, but what exactly is used for an outer shell? Is it just a non-insulated waterproof nylon jacket? Or a lightly insulated waterproof jacket?

The outer layer resist wind or precipitation or both. Sometimes people have slight different gear for either. Some of the expensive, breathable fabrics do a bit of both.

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Regarding the head and face I almost always use a basic somewhat thin synthetic beanie and a cheapo fleece neck gaiter. I do have one of those neoprene ski masks that works well and also a thin synthetic balaclava that ive actually never used but I find the neck gaiter comfortable, very breathable and versatile.

My outer layer always has a hood and thats key also.

Postby cory1223oh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 pm

As far as balaclavas go, I am a big fan of the Under Armour Coldgear hood. It's not too thick but warm. Used that, goggles and a beanie yesterday on Huron in some pretty cold windchill and was plenty warm without a hood (waiting on a hooded softshell for Christmas).

Postby Dex » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Under Armor Cold Gear
REI LW Base Layer
Very Thin Under Armor Fleece
Go Lite soft shell
Mont Bell Therma Wrap if needed
All with chest zippers

arc teryx - thin beanie
balaclava if needed
Jebo Glacier Glasses

I can't wait to get back to Colorado.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby DaveSwink » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Mindy wrote:I should have clarified I am interested in which face cover (brand) would be suggested and type. I see there are wool, polyp, etc. out there. Anyone out there really love the one they have - easy to breathe, breaks the wind, no fog issues with goggles?

I have found that fleece is just too hot for a full-head mask. My mask is thin poly, which is adequate to block the wind from my face but breathes well. I glued a little triangle of neoprene over my nose for added wind protection.

Fogging goggles is caused by warm, moist breath re-directed up into your goggles. The fix is to have unimpaired breathing openings. I am a mouth-breather when climbing so I modified the mouth opening to fit my mouth when totally open (in pant mode). This totally cured fogging goggles for me, and made breathing a lot easier too. I apply vaseline lip balm liberally to prevent windburn.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:05 pm

My winter layering system is:

Top:
REI synthetic T
Patagonia Capilene 2
Mont Bell therma wrap UL
Mont bell thera wrap Pro
OR 4 season Shell jacket

Bottoms:
Patagonia capilene 2 long underwear
North Face ski pants with light fleece lining.
Light wool socks and goretex trail runners

I have a beanie that I carry and I also love my wool buff for my neck and face.
Down insulation could be lighter, but I like how fast the synthetic insulation dries and I basically use my montbell jackets like a softshell so sometimes they get damp. I've also used them in damp climates and had them get soaked, by the time I went to bed, they were dry.

Postby Cruiser » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:13 am

Mindy wrote:Yes - thanks. I should have clarified I am interested in which face cover (brand) would be suggested and type. I see there are wool, polyp, etc. out there. Anyone out there really love the one they have - easy to breathe, breaks the wind, no fog issues with goggles?

I think we could all agree that the best winter face protection is a nice thick beard. :-D
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby geojed » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:26 am

For those "beard challenged" folks here's a substitute.

This one comes integrated with a Beanie even!

Last edited by geojed on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:48 am

geojed wrote:
Cruiser wrote:
Mindy wrote:
Anyone out there really love the one they have - easy to breathe, breaks the wind, no fog issues with goggles?
I think we could all agree that the best winter face protection is a nice thick beard. :-D
For those "beard challenged" folks here's a substitute.

I am not able to go with the natural, so will need to use the synthetic. Is there a difference in the way one deals with the snotsickles?

Postby Mindy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:27 am

Funny geoged. Thanks for the input re: face cover everyone.

Postby nyker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:14 pm

I was asking myself this exact question this past weekend before climbing Mount Whitney again...

It was brutal out there, temps in the high single digits at the trailhead (~8360 ft); doing the math not hard to say it was much colder 6,100+ feet higher with winds on the day blowing to 30mph.

My standard hiking that day was:

Base wicking layer T shirt
long sleeve polypro 1/4 zip shirt
lightweight Patagonia hooded layer
Powerstretch layer.
Hooded down sweater type layer for rest stops to keep in warmth.

If my freakin pack wasn't so heavy I would have left the down layer on, but hefting that thing kept me warmer.

thermal pants and quick dry hiking pants outside

Heavier Seirus gloves and liners underneath, which were essential.

...and for my head: this was the hardest part and most important for comfort: see pic I took on the road going to White Mountain east of Big Pine.
Fogging was an issue at times, so needed to manage that.

powerstretch/fleece Balaclava
Buff wool layer underneath
Julbo Goggles
Hood from Patagonia Layer
Fleece watchcap
Attachments
20121110_133654-2.jpg
20121110_133654-2.jpg (90.89 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:06 pm

here is what has worked for me in Durango, Silverton, Ouray, climbing in the winter.

Lower - Patagonia. silkweight base, base layer. then I layer a Cap3 midweight over that. So basically 2 base layers then your ski/climbing pants.

Upper - same thing. Super tight silk layer long sleeve, then a thicker mid weight layer, then a fleece (only if supercold), then soft shell (with hood) OR down sweater . Then water/windproof hard shell (with hood).

face - beard or balaclava and old school bolle glacier glasses

feet - long smartwools

head - light beanie that your hood can go over

cozy.

Previous