Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Expedition Parkas

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Expedition Parkas

Postby mts4602 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 am

jbchalk wrote:I've used my MHW Absolute Zero parka on the big stuff and I've been plenty happy with it. Just had to retire my 12 year old MHW Sub Zero SL jacket !

If you had the Absolute Zero parka instead of the full Absolute Zero suit what did you use for pants? They don't make absolute zero pants, only the full suit ha.

What kind of peaks do you think the Sub Zero parka would be good for? I have one, and being only 650 down it seems pretty bulky to me when it's in the stuff sack.
Matt

Postby B-Dog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 am

x3 on the FA Peak XV, I don't have anything bad to say about it.

Wait until spring if you can, everything like that will be on clearance.

Postby jbchalk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:47 am

mts4602 wrote:
jbchalk wrote:I've used my MHW Absolute Zero parka on the big stuff and I've been plenty happy with it. Just had to retire my 12 year old MHW Sub Zero SL jacket !

If you had the Absolute Zero parka instead of the full Absolute Zero suit what did you use for pants? They don't make absolute zero pants, only the full suit ha.

What kind of peaks do you think the Sub Zero parka would be good for? I have one, and being only 650 down it seems pretty bulky to me when it's in the stuff sack.

I do have the Absolute Zero pant. Yes, it appears they dont make them anymore, but I'm sure you can still find them online or at some stores. I like my parka and pants - not sure I could get used to the one piece dealio. I would think the Sub Zero would be good on 6000m peaks & below. I wore my old one on Aconcagua, Elbrus, Kili, Orizaba, etc as well as winter here in CO and was good to go. My wife wore hers on Cotopaxi in not so idea conditions and was great. Wouldnt take it to Denali or other colder mtns.

Postby Perea » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:21 pm

FA Peak XV enough said

Postby kaiman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:11 pm

I can't speak to their performance/durability because I don't own either one (yet), but MontBell has two new jackets out this year that look like they are what you are in the market for and are comparable to the Mountain Hardwear Nilas but about 2/3 the cost. I also think they have an outlet store in your neck of the woods (Boulder):

MontBell Permafrost

MontBell Mirage Parka

Happy shopping!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby Gabriel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 pm

I have the feathered friends rock and ice parka. As far as quality it's the best piece of gear I own. It was perfect on Denali, but Aconcagua was way too mild for this jacket.

G

Postby MuchosPixels » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:18 pm

USAKeller wrote:The time has come to buy one. Just curious to get others' opinions on expedition jackets - durability, weight, warmth, pros/cons, etc. I've looked mostly at TNF Himalayan Parka, and a little bit at the First Ascent Peak XV Down Parka and two Rab parkas. I don't know too much about the Marmot 8000m Parka, Feathered Friends, or any others. If any ladies have experience with expedition jackets, please chime in. Thanks!

Hi, I was looking for a similar product a few years ago and decided on the Outdoor Research Superplume Parka. I dont think they make it anymore but it is awesome and packs down quite a bit for how much loft it has. They use high quality down and the design, features and fit was awesome.

I almost got the Peak XV. Its a great choice also.

I saw the Marmot 8K and its overkill for most situations. FF has some great products and good variety to choose from depending on your needs. I did not like the TNF Himalayan, looked old school (maybe they have updated it?). I really like Rab products but did not get to see their down parkas in person, only online so can't comment on those but they generally make well designed jackets with good fit and workmanship.

Postby USAKeller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Well...I really appreciate all of your responses; there seems to be a variety of preferences! I guess the next step is to go start trying them all on. Thanks again and if there are any more opinions in the meantime, keep posting!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Dave B » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:33 am

USAKeller wrote:Well...I really appreciate all of your responses; there seems to be a variety of preferences! I guess the next step is to go start trying them all on. Thanks again and if there are any more opinions in the meantime, keep posting!

My wife has a Mont Bell Permafrost that she likes quite a bit. It weighs close to two pounds and "compresses" to the size of 15 degree sleeping bag, but it's made with Wind Stopper and is akin to a back country furnace.

She's cold, a lot, and this jacket usually keeps her warm.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Taillon75 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:12 am

I think we just confused you more.....

Postby Theodore » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:16 am

I was in the same boat this spring, trying to find something big enough for Rainier and other peaks and ended up with a Norrona Lyngen. Haven't been able to use it in earnest yet, but the quality of materials and construction appears top notch.

The coldthistle blog has a few good parka reviews on it if it helps your search at all.

Postby uwe » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:50 am

My Feathered Friends Ice Parka has done well in high cold places. Light, too and compresses well. Removable hat. Fit over all my other layers and kept me warm.
Purchased locally at Neptune Mountaineering. 10% discount if you are a CMC member.

Rab gear is good, too. The eVent material works. I have a pair of Rab Back-up mittens that are clumsy oven gloves, but your fingers will never freeze. I used a Rab shell for the past 5 years for all things Colorado and more; model- Neutrino. Pretty beat and due to be replaced, but worked great. So Rab is quality in my opinion. Both Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder and Mountain Chalet in Colorado Springs carry Rab.

You can rent. Whittaker Mountaineering rents decent gear. I rented a backpack and -40 bag from them and was happy with the rental process, price and gear. Wound up buying the backpack. http://www.whittakermountaineering.com

PreviousNext