Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Vail gondola

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Vail gondola

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:24 pm

My favorite picture from 2011-12

Postby SKIBREC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:26 pm

we in COLORADO dont how good we have it........most of the country just sits at home or behind a desk like my wife and I used to dreamin about it.....we quit our 6 figure jobs and careers to enjoy this state. 4 yrs..ago...havnt looked back yet...glad the kiddos are all grown up..........now sitting in arkansas...visiting family...reminds of why we moved
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Oh, I know how good I have it! Living in a ski town can be pretty sweet.

Actually, no it kind of sucks. At least in Chicago when I was working at my desk all day my view was of other office buildings, now when I am working I have to stare at Beaver Creek all day, not to mention driving in past all those skiers waiting at the bus stop when I have to go to work. Yep, it sucks :P
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby madbuck » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Ah, Vail: a place for True Elites (TM), where the law considers your income when charged with a crime, and the chamber of commerce considers your zip code for worthiness to ski at Christmas.

Best ski possibility I can think of is to sleep like a bum at Vail Pass, legally traverse Your National Forest via the classic Commando Run, and not spend a dime. Front Range riff-raff, indeed.

Postby YooperJonKornely » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:57 pm

"I don't ride any Vail Resorts mountains because I'm GNAR!!!!!!!!!!" :lol: I'd love to know the average number of times each person who rips on these mountains have actually rode them... I'd put my money on over 20. If even once, it's very hypocritical.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:02 pm

jofkorn1037 wrote:I'd love to know the average number of times each person who rips on these mountains have actually rode them.

Twice at Vail for me. Actually, 1-1/2 days, as the second day it sucked so badly that I bailed at lunch and went to A-Basin. I kept thinking: "This crappy skiing is costing me $2 per hour to park." I doubt I'll be back, unless I win free lodging, meals, and lift tickets in a contest or something. Lodging and meals alone wouldn't be enough.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby ChicagoMike » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Blue Sky.jpg
Lets not forget this gem
Blue Sky.jpg (27.78 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Let's not forget this gem

Postby ChicagoMike » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:I'm more of a Beaver Creek person myself, once you ditch the fur coats and Starbucks crowd in the village that mountain is all yours.

Of course I always laugh when I see that pic of the old Chair 5. If you are stuck in crowds like that at Vail, you're just not skiing the right parts of the mountain. :mrgreen:

IMG_4452.JPG

That is the old Chair 10. This was my go to spot on deep days when everyone was sitting in line out in the back. I believe that Chair 5 was the three pack in the back bowls

Postby ChicagoMike » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:19 pm

^^My bad, I see what you are talking about with regards to Chair 5. Nice name by the way. Chi Town in the house. Go Bears

Postby ChicagoMike » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:28 pm

SKIBREC wrote:we in COLORADO dont how good we have it........most of the country just sits at home or behind a desk like my wife and I used to dreamin about it.....we quit our 6 figure jobs and careers to enjoy this state. 4 yrs..ago...havnt looked back yet...glad the kiddos are all grown up..........now sitting in arkansas...visiting family...reminds of why we moved

I think you are exactly correct, but it is becoming more and more difficult for Front Rangers to enjoy the beauty of Colorado in large part due to the mega expansion of Vail / Summit and the congestion of the I70 corridor over the last 20 years.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:39 pm

I loved the old chair 10, of course my feet used to fall asleep and I had to stomp a few times when I got off it, but it felt like you were the only person on the mountain, which if this thread is any indication is a rarity at Vail! The new quad over there hasn't really increased traffic either, a little though, but mostly only for people that want to ski Blue Ox when its groomed.

I probably ski Beaver Creek at a 3 to 1 ratio though over everywhere else, its probably the best mountain in Vail Resorts portfolio, at least in Colorado - I haven't been to their Tahoe resorts. The lifts have more vert, so you get longer runs, and the black diamonds are hardly skied. It skis bigger than its acreage as well because of all the side country and in-between-runs. I guess any "local" mountain you are going to learn all the nooks and crannies that the casual visitor doesn't know about, but I happy to call the Beav my "local hill"!

PS - Not only am I a Chicago Transplant, I am also a Mike :lol: Go Bears! Loving that defense this year.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby MuchosPixels » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:I loved the old chair 10, of course my feet used to fall asleep and I had to stomp a few times when I got off it, but it felt like you were the only person on the mountain, which if this thread is any indication is a rarity at Vail! The new quad over there hasn't really increased traffic either, a little though, but mostly only for people that want to ski Blue Ox when its groomed.

I probably ski Beaver Creek at a 3 to 1 ratio though over everywhere else, its probably the best mountain in Vail Resorts portfolio, at least in Colorado - I haven't been to their Tahoe resorts. The lifts have more vert, so you get longer runs, and the black diamonds are hardly skied. It skis bigger than its acreage as well because of all the side country and in-between-runs. I guess any "local" mountain you are going to learn all the nooks and crannies that the casual visitor doesn't know about, but I happy to call the Beav my "local hill"!

PS - Not only am I a Chicago Transplant, I am also a Mike :lol: Go Bears! Loving that defense this year.

I stay and ski BC almost every year I go to Co. Love the place. shhh but dont tell anyone. :D The groomers do get packed but Grouse Mountain and also the birds of prey and a few black diamond runs on the lower west side of the main hill are seldom busy. Last year it was awful, pretty icy and dangerous but heck almost every place was like that.

PreviousNext