Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

A basin expansion

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: A basin expansion

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am

Taillon75 wrote:Awesome! Hopefully this will clear the way for Condos, shitty Golf Courses, Tubing, Zip Lines, Paid Parking and Vail Lift Ticket Prices! Man I can't wait! :twisted:

Great response, very educated and informative.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby klinger » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:02 am

Buckshot Jake wrote:Love the terrain, but hopefully when the build the new lifts they are high-speed quads.

NO. The answer is NO.

Buckshot Jake wrote: A-Bay gets way to cold to be freezing my ass off on a lift all day.

It's called winter.

Postby SeracZack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:10 am

The Beavers lift is planned to be a quad similar to the Zuma lift. A slow 500 feet per minute rope speed. No high speed going there.
Last edited by SeracZack on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby ajkagy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:12 am

Buckshot Jake wrote:A-Bay gets way to cold to be freezing my ass off on a lift all day.

Loveland is by far the coldest/windiest ski area in CO hands down. A-bay really isn't that bad and is sheltered pretty decently except for maybe the top up on the ridge in which you don't stay very long.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby pills2619 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 am

Who cares about the cold but if your gonna put a new lift in why not make it a high speed lift. I'm all for freezing my ass off cause it's "winter" but I'm also really for minimizing my time on the lift cause well its pretty obvious... I'm there to ski! Not sit on a lift. So if your gonna spend 4-5 million on a lift how much more would it cost to make it high speed?(someone enlighten me)
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby SKIBREC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:33 am

high speed how would anyone here know what kind of lift when it will be yrs b4 it is brought or installed
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby mike offerman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:37 am

Postby Buckshot Jake » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:52 am

pills2619 wrote:Who cares about the cold but if your gonna put a new lift in why not make it a high speed lift. I'm all for freezing my ass off cause it's "winter" but I'm also really for minimizing my time on the lift cause well its pretty obvious... I'm there to ski! Not sit on a lift. So if your gonna spend 4-5 million on a lift how much more would it cost to make it high speed?(someone enlighten me)

That's what I'm saying! Their Montezuma Bowl expansion was an epic FAIL because they put that ancient/outdated lift back there. It is winter, I get that, but it doesn't help sitting high up in the wind on an icy January day. If you are going to do it, do it right!

Postby Vincopotamus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:12 am

pills2619 wrote:Who cares about the cold but if your gonna put a new lift in why not make it a high speed lift. I'm all for freezing my ass off cause it's "winter" but I'm also really for minimizing my time on the lift cause well its pretty obvious... I'm there to ski! Not sit on a lift. So if your gonna spend 4-5 million on a lift how much more would it cost to make it high speed?(someone enlighten me)

The cost of a high speed lift vs a non-high speed (aka a 'fixed grip' or FG) lift is significant - high speeds typically cost about twice as much.

AND more food for thought....

A FG lift will typically have about twice as many chairs as a HS lift of the same length. This is because HS lifts travel at about twice the speed (1000-1100 feet/min vs 500 feet/min) of FG lifts, so HS lifts need a wider gap between each chair to allow time for the chair to slow down when it enters the terminal without the chair behind it running into it. The upshot is that because there are more chairs, a FG 'holds' more skiers up in the air, on the chairs, instead of down on the runs itself. So for the same amount of people lapping a lift, a FG should theoretically have less crowded runs than if a HS lift serviced the area.

Granted, you will spend more time on the chair riding a FG vs a HS of the same length, but how big of a hurry are you really in? And regarding the cold, HTFU.

If you're really interested, let me divert you to my pre-14ers.com nerd forum of choice, Skilifts.org http://www.skilifts.org/forum/index.php?act=idx. DISCLAIMER: They are nerdier than us.
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby ajkagy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:15 am

high speed lifts are overrated unless you're going up 2k+ vertical feet. abasin was fine without a high speed before the new base chair, don't think they need another one out away from the high use green/blue runs on the front side.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby pills2619 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks for the link. I'm an engineering student so this "cool". Given my enlightenment I would also agree that they should save the money and put in a fixed lift. AB definitely has a down to earth feel and should really try to maintain that.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:52 am

On high-speed lifts you spend more time in line, less time on the lift. The capacity of the lift is determined by how fast they can load, so would be the same.

The Black Mountain lift is way too fast, IMO...I barely have time to use my chapstick, take a drink, etc. before I have to get off and ski, dammit!

Usually I find the Montezuma lift too warm rather than too cold (it's like being in the focus of a solar oven on sunny days).

If you need to stay warm on the lift, there's always the new Vail gondola. Enjoy!
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

PreviousNext