Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

A basin expansion

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

A basin expansion

Postby lodidodi » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Looks like they got the ok to expand into the beavers. I found steep gullies by accident once and that climb out was fun.
http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20121025/NEWS/121029894/1078&ParentProfile=1055

Re: A basin expansion

Postby dnye » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Postby SeracZack » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:21 pm

It's going to take some time before anything happens. Basically the plan has been okayed, sort-of, and many studies and funding still need to be secured.

I haven't read all of it, but it looks like the Beavers area also hold Canada Lynx, which it was stated that the expansion may hurt that population. It may prove difficult to expand in that area if that is true.

http://www.arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/document-library/Arapahoe-Basin-2012-Master-Development-Plan_FINAL.pdf

Here is a passage from the Forest Service:
"As you know, acceptance of your MDP does not imply authorization to proceed with construction or implementation of any proposed projects. Once formally proposed, specific projects will require more in-depth, site-specifc evaluation prior to proceeding into environmental review and NEPA analysis."
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby MonGoose » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm ecstatic a ski area is expanding terrain instead of condominiums!

The top of the Beavers Bowl usually doesn't have any snow because it all blows over into Montezuma Bowl, which is what makes the chutes so great. Also, aren't the Steep Gullies the place where that kid died out of bounds last year in an avalanche?

Postby MonGoose » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:39 pm

A-Basin_sm2.jpg
A-Basin_sm2.jpg (247.78 KiB) Viewed 770 times

Postby tlongpine » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:24 pm

lodidodi wrote:Looks like they got the ok to expand into the beavers. I found steep gullies by accident once and that climb out was fun.
http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20121025/NEWS/121029894/1078&ParentProfile=1055

Not exactly.

The A-Basin blog notes that the planned expansion has been accepted by the Forest Service, but that does not translate to approval:

"Please remember that acceptance of the MDP does NOT approve any of these projects. Quoting myself, "Acceptance simply means we have a pretty good plan that appears consistent with the appropriate rules, regulations, laws, and policies."

Further context: http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2012/10/master-development-plan-accepted.html
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby rickinco123 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm

MonGoose wrote: Also, aren't the Steep Gullies the place where that kid died out of bounds last year in an avalanche?

There have been a number of avy deaths in that area over the years.

Abasin at one time was dangling a trade ot the Forrest Service of part of thier lease which contains "wet lands" and is very difficult for Abasin to develop anyway. I can't imagine that the "Beavers" right next to US highway 6 is so uniquie that it must be preserved for Lynx.

I wonder if I'll still think that terrain is so cool after lift access.

Postby MonGoose » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:03 pm

The Beavers already has lift access, but you must leave the area to ski it. As I understand it, no new lifts will be built in the Beavers but the area would be patrolled and blasted.

Postby SeracZack » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:10 pm

MonGoose wrote:The Beavers already has lift access, but you must leave the area to ski it. As I understand it, no new lifts will be built in the Beavers but the area would be patrolled and blasted.

Someone didn't read the plan...

http://www.arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/image-library/inline-landscape/mdpmap2_orig.jpg
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby MonGoose » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Okay, there would be a new lift. Looks like a pretty sweet layout and a rather large expansion.

Zip line tour?!?!?!?

Postby Taillon75 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:29 am

Awesome! Hopefully this will clear the way for Condos, shitty Golf Courses, Tubing, Zip Lines, Paid Parking and Vail Lift Ticket Prices! Man I can't wait! :twisted:

Postby Buckshot Jake » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 am

Love the terrain, but hopefully when the build the new lifts they are high-speed quads. A-Bay gets way to cold to be freezing my ass off on a lift all day. This is very exciting news!!

Next