Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Real or Hooey?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Real or Hooey?

Postby sanjuanmtneer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:16 pm

http://bfro.net/

What do you think?

Re: Real or Hooey?

Postby Guitarzan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Hooey..........but I do find myself always watching shows about bigfoot on History Channel and Animal Planet. Maybe it goes back to when I was a kid and would have sworn that bigfoot was real.
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:49 pm

I don't staunchly believe that a bigfoot/sasquatch/yeti/etc. cannot exist. However, I very seriously doubt the existence of such a creature. If such a land dwelling creature exists, I would think that there would be more actual evidence of such. As far as I know, good photos/videos, DNA samples, etc. just don't seem to exist. IMO, if anything, the Patterson-Gimlin film probably is the best piece of evidence that seems to support the existence of a bigfoot. (Unless the footage I have seen was altered, it really doesn't look to me like a person in a suit.......and if it was a suit, it was a damn good one!)

I have to say, however, that I do find it interesting that Jane Goodall apparently has expressed her opinion that the bigfoot question is at least an interesting one (meaning she doesn't completely discount the possibility).

I enjoy watching the BFRO folk's silly TV shows. I think that they are entertaining, and I've always had an interest is such far-fetched mysteries. On the TV shows, I have yet to see them produce ONE piece of reasonable evidence. All those trail cams show nothing. The infrared camera never shows anything but deer and cattle. The sounds they record are never very good. Sure, I like to watch them search, and make silly assertions in the process (like how headlights though 300 yards of trees are a bigfoot's glowing eyes in the trees), but they never turn up anything convincing. If I followed their logic, I could claim that I had evidence that on one dark morning I heard a woolly mammoth crashing through trees in the IPW, when I know that it must have been deer or elk.

It is true that there have been living animals discovered that were thought to have been either long extinct, or fictitious; the coelacanth and okapi are examples. So, who knows. When it comes to science, it's usually best to keep an open mind. :-D
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm

It's just another religion. Like all good religions, it's based on faith rather than evidence.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Matt Lemke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Jim Davies wrote:It's just another religion. Like all good religions, it's based on faith rather than evidence.

Best quote of the year right there...hands down!
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby plantmandan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:26 pm

If those Bigfoot hunters ever found him it would take away their excuse to hang out in the woods and drink beer all night.

Postby Bean 2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:Best quote of the year right there...hands down!

Nope, best quote of the year was and still is "It's on Weminuche!"
gdthomas wrote:

Bean, you're an idiot 2.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com/

Postby Scott P » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't know what all the controversy concerning bigfoot is all about. Seriously, the descriptions of bigfoot could match at least 20% of the people that showed up at my last family reuinion.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Matt Lemke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:44 pm

This coming from the person who skis the same mountains over and over again and expecting different results...wait a second...I wonder what that means :roll:

At least I won't try a 12 day trek in the Weminuche every summer :mrgreen:
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby Iguru » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:13 pm

So..... some people really do take it this seriously? #-o
I had no idea.
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm

Couldn't resist. :-"

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Gareth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 am

The people on the show claim that these are the only images of a sasquatch that have been caught on a trail cam:

I think that they claim that it is a "baby" sasquatch (in order to explain its small size). #-o

Sure looks like a skinny black bear to me. ](*,)

Black bears have longer legs than you'd think!
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Next