Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby kushrocks » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:27 pm

ameristrat wrote:I cant make this... it kills me - I really wanted to tag along.

Have fun dudes and dudettes!

+1 I really wish I could make this but had something come up.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby speth » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Was just talking about this last night - is there any snow coverage? I haven't been up in two weeks, didn't know if there was a storm that moved through in the meantime.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Last edited by Brian Thomas on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby dmccool » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:19 pm

I'll be there in the a.m. snow or shine - although for some reason, I prefer to have some kind of ridiculous forecast. Jeffro, my only question is, "will the conditions be 'suitable'?"
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby MountainHiker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:42 pm

speth wrote:Was just talking about this last night - is there any snow coverage? I haven't been up in two weeks, didn't know if there was a storm that moved through in the meantime.

This was Quandary from Cameron yesterday. Looks pretty blown off. There’s chance of snow later this week.

Yesterday on Decalibron there was some ice and snow on the trails. Microspikes and a pole were good to have.

Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Might have something by Friday morning. Models keep changing for precip.
GFS shows jet to be over CO most of week (very high alpine winds.)
Winds might let up a tad by weekend with Sunday the better day.

dmccool wrote:...although for some reason, I prefer to have some kind of ridiculous forecast...

:-"

Postby jeremy27 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:04 am

Viewing Quandary from Silverheels on Sunday the route looked practically snow-free. Assuming there isn't substantial accumulation from the storm this week, I think the trail will be in good shape for hikers who don't own gaiters and micro-spikes. I sure hope the winter campers aren't planning on building an igloo.

Postby geojed » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:16 am

Here's a shot of Quandary I took on Saturday from Silverheels.

• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby kuhnmark » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:30 am

I'm a Colorado 14er newbie. This sounds like a great opportunity to hike with some great people. Count me in!

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:54 am

I sent out a PM last week to everyone who'd expressed interest in camping. Post here or get in touch if you want to be added. There might not be much snow, but the temperatures sure look like they'll be reflective of winter. \:D/

Dan, every day is "suitable." Don't even ask.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby MonGoose » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm in for camping.

Postby SpringsHiker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:34 pm

I am now planning to attend and will be driving up Saturday morning.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

PreviousNext