Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ed Viesturs Speaking in Golden

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Ed Viesturs Speaking in Golden

Postby Kiefer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Fletch wrote:
Dave B wrote:So did he win you over, Fletch?

Alright, you got me. My thoughts (and they are just mine, so take away what you will):

My main critique would be that I would have liked to see him talk to us more as climbers (it was at the CMC/AAC after all) and less as some motivational seminar. I felt like I was at a sales conference and he was the key note speaker (to 'encourage us' to sell more...). He could have done that speech with his eyes closed. You could tell he has done that speech a bazillion times. He even had the slides perfectly timed to his 'jokes.'

I guess I'm still baffled by the guy. Obviously, he's a great climber, great speaker, etc. But I never really got the impression that he was letting us into his world at all. It was almost like he was telling us stuff he thought we should hear, not stuff we wanted to hear. Like, yes I know how tall Mt Rainier is (he actually read off the elevation at one point).

And I never knew how short he is. Who knew? :mrgreen:

SurfNTurf wrote:it was basically a regurgitation of No Shortcuts to the Top.

These are some of the thoughts I had as well. A great evening none-the-less but honestly, I would have liked to hear more about his thoughts on climbing, speaking to all of us AS climbers and perhaps more information
on Big City Climbers. With these things, you have to expect some plugs for his sponsers, it's evitable.
I don't blame the guy for the highlighted portion above in Fletch's quote. It's annoying, to be sure. I do this everyday at the Stanley...it does get old pretty quick. Fletch makes some really good insights.
My impressions taken away from last night...great evening but not stellar.

And who was the butt-plug that asked about our 14ers?? Seriously?? ](*,)
ARG! I hid my head & cringed.

Awesome seeing you again Carl and Ben!! :-D
Drink Guinness!!

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Agree with Marie - I felt like it was a recap of No Shortcuts to the Top. There were still a few slides last night that were not in the book but overall glaringly similar. Having read No Shortcuts, I guess I was wishing he would have expanded on it and made it more personal. I also feel as though the ending was abrupt (truely not a big deal but when he finished I thought to myself 'okaaaayyyyy')

Also agree with Kiefer, I almost wish Big City Mountaineering was some how incorporated more and we could have heard some more personal stories.

Regardless a great way to spend $ and def. a great way to spend an evening.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby davebks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:33 pm

Steve House is awesome live if you get the chance to hear him speak. Nice guy.

Postby Steve Nicholls » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Fletch: Of course its a pre-canned speech. Of course he going to say "safety first." I was impressed. I got a sense reading his book book that he really was about ego, but didn't get that feel at all in person. Good cause and a pleasant way to spend an evening. And BTW, great to see you again.

I wish someone (me maybe?, but I didn't think about until later) would have asked the question "what is the most disturbing thing you've seen on an 8,000 meter peak?"

Postby zdero1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 pm

First of all, big thanks to AlpineDude and others for organizing the party and for the beer. I felt like an ass for forgetting to bring a 6er and I plan on paying it forward.

I don't know where I read this but I recall reading that Ed's speech was going to be autobiographical in nature, so it was in line with my expectations. I think I read it on the BCM webpage. I think in "No Shortcuts to the Top" Ed mentioned that he had some public speaking training from the companies he represented and that training was definitely apparent during his speech. Some people on this thread were hoping for some more personal stories from Ed, but I think he also mentioned in his book that he feels stongly that many things on the mountain aren't meant to be shared with other people (what happens on the mountain stays on the mountain). Perhaps it's out of respect or to not ruffle any feathers in the climbing community. I was just happy to be attending a presentation of someone who has been a tremendous inspiration to me.

I ended up sneaking into the meet and greet (like a groupie, I know) and Ed was super cool. He took the time to answer some questions and I never felt rushed. He posed for a pic and signed my copy of "Vertical Limit," which he got a kick out of. Now I need to hunt down Bill Paxton and Scott Glenn :-D

Vertical Limit movie night anyone?

Postby USAKeller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:57 am

Kiefer wrote:These are some of the thoughts I had as well. A great evening none-the-less but honestly, I would have liked to hear more about his thoughts on climbing, speaking to all of us AS climbers and perhaps more information
on Big City Climbers. With these things, you have to expect some plugs for his sponsers, it's evitable.
I don't blame the guy for the highlighted portion above in Fletch's quote.
My impressions taken away from last night...great evening but not stellar.

I agree. I haven't read his book yet though. Still a nice night seeing everyone, and the best part was being able to support Big City Mountaineers and giving these kids an opportunity to find their potential.
Rise and grind. Every day.

Postby pflegerc » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 am

USAKeller wrote: I agree. I haven't read his book yet though. Still a nice night seeing everyone, and the best part was being able to support Big City Mountaineers and giving these kids an opportunity to find their potential.

Yeah, very cool that 100% of the money went to BCM. Sadly I did not make the pre-party due to work/traffic, but I hope that I can catch the next one and start meeting some of you. Side note, I got to see Ed again at the Smiling Moose Deli the day after. He was just picking up lunch, and I didn't want to be "that person" who came up and started bothering him since he looked rushed. I thought is was the right thing to do, but my wife called me a pansy for not asking him to sign my book that happened to be in the car still. He did notice the wife kept looking at him, so he stopped by and said hello before heading out.

It would have been nice to have a little bit more personal stories instead of the canned speech, but hey, it was still a pretty neat night.

Now lets all go out and "Conquer some 14ers!"......... :roll:
Some people have Gods, I have the Mountains. Regardless, neglect either for too long and you will get lost.

Postby jagiammaria » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Kiefer wrote:

Really? You hated the question that much?

Postby AlpineDude » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:17 pm

A great time from top to bottom. This is a rad group and I sincerely appreciate our time together on and off the mountain. I'll keep an eye out for more opportunities to utilize our deck and beer coolers! Thanks for all the kind words.

I'm ready for some ice climbing!!

Postby mtndude3737 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:10 am

davebks wrote:Steve House is awesome live if you get the chance to hear him speak. Nice guy.
+1 Love this guy
USAKeller wrote:Still a nice night seeing everyone, and the best part was being able to support Big City Mountaineers and giving these kids an opportunity to find their potential.
+1
I am climbing Mt. Whitney with the Backpacker Magazine SFS on April 24th if anyone wants to donate to a 14ers.com member (me)!
http://www.summitforsomeone.org/donate?page=4&climber=8472
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby mtndude3737 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 am

jagiammaria wrote:
Kiefer wrote:

Really? You hated the question that much?

I thought it was kinda funny, kind of like asking Michael Jordon if he ever plays basketball with high school kids....

I loved the event. I have read 2 of his books and seen all of the movies he is in, and simply revel in the experiences he has had that I won't.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby DrBubba » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:27 am

I was extremely pleased to see Dr. Ed Viesturs in Golden last Thursday. And, yes, it is Dr. Viesturs in that he practiced veterinary medicine until climbing took too much of his time. Ed gave up his practice to allow time for climbing while he worked as a carpenter and lived in a basement owned by his employer's mom. Not exactly the stereotypical "capitalist" I think of. Is being a capitalist somehow bad? I think not. Anyway...

Several in this thread have referred to Ed's book, but actually he has been co-author of 4 books: No Shortcuts To The Top, K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain, The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak, and Himalayan Quest: Ed Viesturs Summits All Fourteen 8,000-Meter Giants. Himalayan Quest is actually a picture book with many of the photos from his presentation, and I recommend it because some of the pictures are amazing. K2 and The Will To Climb tell the stories of Ed's climbs along with other important climbs of K2 and Annapurna. I've read K2 at least 3 times, and The Will to Climb twice. I highly recommend both for the understanding the history of high-altitude mountaineering on K2 and Annapurna.

I'll never get to the Karakoram or Himalaya (primarily because I need sherpa support for a 14er), but Ed Viestur's, along with other authors, have transported me there through their words and photographs. In a world where our iconic sports heroes constantly seem to crash back to earth, Ed Viesturs is someone still above the clouds. I hope my kids can grow to be as educated, disciplined, successful, and, yes, lucky as Ed Viesturs.

Previous