Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Emerald/Iowa on Sat. Oct.20th-Partners?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Emerald/Iowa on Sat. Oct.20th-Partners?

Postby Waggs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:45 pm

randalmartin wrote:Has anyone descended off the saddle between Emerald/Iowa as a way to return to Clohesy Lake? Every trip report I have looked either descends of Emerald south slopes, Iowa west ridge (loose) or Missouri West ridge. On the Topo the descent from the Emerald/Iowa saddle appears reasonable but curious to know if anyone has pictures or experience.

Edit: The more I look at it, it appears the best descent is the trail between Missouri/Iowa to Clohesy Lake (shows up as trail 1459 on the USGS topo).

My compy with pics is down, but I descended down the saddle earlier this year. As I recall, there was a descent game trail leading down. From there, I followed the creek westward, thinking that I couldn't miss the Pear Lake trail (and I didn't). Once I hit tree line, the game trails were as bad as a bad case of varicose veins. Pressing westward, I did run into some small (8'-12') rocky cliffs that were not a problem to navigate and as mentioned above, eventually hit Pear Lake trail. Was not an arduous effort, and I'd do it again if I had to.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby Boggy B » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Looking at 13ers in that area, so I might give you a call, Britt, depending on our timing.

Was in the same area Sunday. No snow on the road to the Lake Ann TH, but plenty on north facing aspects above treeline. Gaiters and waterproof footwear for sure, axes optional, spikes/pons not needed.

Postby denvermikey » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Been lurking on this posting all week. With last minute change of plans, I should be able to make this work. Too late in the game to arrange rides so I will plan on meeting at the Rockdale TH at 6:30. I also have a vehicle that can drive to the upper 4wd TH (as long as the snow permits). Have room for others if needed. I will be in a red Nissan Pathfinder.

-Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby semitrueskerm » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:29 am

FYI: Road up to Clohsey Lake is blocked by down trees about .75 mile up. Our group of 5, minus me, hiked from there. Being a climber determined to always take the shortest route, I cancelled and will wait until next summer when road is cleared. Hoping the rest of the group gets Emerald and Iowa. They now have a considerably longer push. Yes, I am lazy!!! :lol:

Postby globreal » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:08 pm

semitrueskerm wrote:FYI: Road up to Clohsey Lake is blocked by down trees about .75 mile up. Our group of 5, minus me, hiked from there. Being a climber determined to always take the shortest route, I cancelled and will wait until next summer when road is cleared. Hoping the rest of the group gets Emerald and Iowa. They now have a considerably longer push. Yes, I am lazy!!! :lol:

We met our objectives for the day and got both Emerald & Iowa.
Stellar fall weather day!
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby RyGuy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Great day indeed!
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:19 pm

globreal wrote:We met our objectives for the day and got both Emerald & Iowa.
:-D

Congrats, gents! =D>

Postby Kiefer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Likewise, nice work! Today must have been gorgeous up there!
Drink Guinness!!

Postby TravelingMatt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:25 pm

randalmartin wrote:Has anyone descended off the saddle between Emerald/Iowa as a way to return to Clohesy Lake? Every trip report I have looked either descends of Emerald south slopes, Iowa west ridge (loose) or Missouri West ridge. On the Topo the descent from the Emerald/Iowa saddle appears reasonable but curious to know if anyone has pictures or experience.

Edit: The more I look at it, it appears the best descent is the trail between Missouri/Iowa to Clohesy Lake (shows up as trail 1459 on the USGS topo).

I did the Mizzou/Iowa/Emerald combo earlier this summer, in that order (clockwise). You're right, the south slopes of Emerald SUCK. Worse than anything on Columbia, and not "fun hard" the way a good Class 3/4 route is. Probably my worst hiking experience of 2012. Just the south slopes, that is. Otherwise a nice outing.

I don't think 1459 is an actual trail, Waggs' comment above notwithstanding.

One route I looked at involved taking the west ridge of Iowa (from a descent standpoint) down to the col between Iowa and 13130, then descending northward down the gully to the creek bed, and eventually hooking back up with the trail that goes up to the northwest ridge of Mizzou. This north gully looked rather steep at the top, but was grass all the way. The ridge from Iowa down to the col looked to be much like the ridge from Mizzou down to Iowa, mostly Class 2 with maybe some steep or loose bits thrown in.

I didn't try it because I didn't want to reclimb Iowa, even tho it's an easy return from Emerald.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Johnson » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:39 pm

globreal wrote:
semitrueskerm wrote:FYI: Road up to Clohsey Lake is blocked by down trees about .75 mile up. Our group of 5, minus me, hiked from there. Being a climber determined to always take the shortest route, I cancelled and will wait until next summer when road is cleared. Hoping the rest of the group gets Emerald and Iowa. They now have a considerably longer push. Yes, I am lazy!!! :lol:

We met our objectives for the day and got both Emerald & Iowa.

I got your SPOTS and wished I was there.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby randalmartin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:04 am

It was a great outing. Coming down between Iowa and Missouri there was definitely not a trail per se. But there was an easily descended scree chute that made the descent (once we got into the scree chute) quite fun. I will put up a TR with pictures and route information in the next day or so. Still need to collect all of the pictures from everyone.

Previous