Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Emerald/Iowa on Sat. Oct.20th-Partners?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Emerald/Iowa on Sat. Oct.20th-Partners?

Postby globreal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:54 am

Brian Thomas & myself are looking to climb Iowa and then on to the Centennial-Emerald.

We are looking for another partner or two. We are planning to start at Rockdale and hike up the Lake Fork creek to just past Clohesy Lake where we ascend the west slopes.

Anybody interested in joining us?
Last edited by globreal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Re: Emerald, Iowa, Missouri Sat. 10/20-Partners?

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:01 am

globreal wrote:We are planning to start at Rockdale

I will probably be car camping at Clear Creek Reservoir on Friday night and could carpool/caravan from the parking lot at the boat launch up to Rockdale if needed.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby RyGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:59 pm

What time are you thinking of starting?

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby globreal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:06 pm

ACERyGuy007 wrote:What time are you thinking of starting?

-Ryan

I usually like to start around sunrise (7:13am) or an hour before.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."

Postby RyGuy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:25 pm

I am certainly interested in joining you guys. I've done Missouri 3 times and always been interested in also doing Iowa and Emerald. Just need to see if I can get free Saturday. I am debating the idea of camping up near the creek crossing the night before and just meeting you guys there, or driving up early in the morning.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby globreal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:08 am

Randy Martin is joining in on this outing and we are driving over together. So, that 3 of us for sure.

I've got a commitment Friday evening, so Randy & I will arrive Saturday morning.

Let's aim for a 7:30am start hiking time from Rockdale.

Postby semitrueskerm » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:47 pm

I am planning to climb Missouri on Saturday from Rockdale.
I was planning to car camp as high up beyond the creek as possible.
I am hoping I can drive my slightly modified Jeep up to the gate right up there by the Lake.
Any idea if it's still clear of snow up there?
I will be in a Silver Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sleeping in the back.
Feel free to knock if there is no sign of life when you walk by.
If I'm not there when you go through, I am already on the mountain. Either way, you will catch up.
I will probably not continue to Emerald unless I feel strong.
Hope to see you and say hey!

--jim

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Jim,

I drive a CR-V and Randy drives a Subaru so we will be parking at Rockdale and hiking from there. No idea on the current conditions up there, but bringing microspikes, trekking poles, axe. Think snowshoes may be overkill this early.

We drove up to the gate near Clohesy Lake in summer 2011 in a stock Ford Explorer, it was very rough, took an hour to go the 3 miles each way. Your Jeep may handle it better.

Because of time constraints we may not go for Missouri and just go for Emerald and Iowa only. If we don't see you up there we'll wave from the summit!

Postby RyGuy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:36 pm

globreal wrote:Randy Martin is joining in on this outing and we are driving over together. So, that 3 of us for sure.

I've got a commitment Friday evening, so Randy & I will arrive Saturday morning.

Let's aim for a 7:30am start hiking time from Rockdale.

Hey guys,

If I can join you, I'd love to. I am going to head up and car camp Friday night. I have a Gray Jeep Grand Cherokee. I will probably cross the river and head up the road a bit and camp there. There is a nice plateau that overlooks the western end of the Creek Creek valley. It's also right next to the road, so can't miss it on your way up. I'll make sure I am ready by 7:30-7:40.

Also, I usually bring my MSR reactor backpacking stove with me on winter climbs so I can enjoy a hot Mountain house dehydrated meal and nalgene of hot tea/coffee at the summit. Sure beats a half frozen sandwich or Cliff bars. If you guys want to bring similar stuff, I'm happy to share the stove!

Looking forward to it!

-Ryan

Re: Emerald/Iowa on Sat. Oct.20th-Partners?

Postby globreal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Please note: Missouri was originally in the plans, but due to time constraints, we've decided to just aim for Iowa and then Emerald only.

Postby globreal » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Here's the latest....in case anybody else is interested in this climb.

5 of us are meeting at Rockdale tomorrow morning around 6am. Two vehicles are crossing Clear Creek and driving to the 4WD TH about 3/4 mile shy of Clohesy Lake. The goal is to start driving from Rockdale by 6:30am.

4 of us are climbing Emerald via the south slopes and then continuing north to Iowa. (The decision will then be made as to head down or continue to Missouri.)

1 person is going straight up and down Missouri.

Postby randalmartin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Has anyone descended off the saddle between Emerald/Iowa as a way to return to Clohesy Lake? Every trip report I have looked either descends of Emerald south slopes, Iowa west ridge (loose) or Missouri West ridge. On the Topo the descent from the Emerald/Iowa saddle appears reasonable but curious to know if anyone has pictures or experience.

Edit: The more I look at it, it appears the best descent is the trail between Missouri/Iowa to Clohesy Lake (shows up as trail 1459 on the USGS topo).

Next