Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Blanca / Ellingwood 10/20 - 10/21

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Blanca / Ellingwood 10/20 - 10/21

Postby ameristrat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Sounds good to me - and as an aside, mtree, all my plans for Kit Carson and Challenger have been obliterated this year, so next year, we need to do that trip!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby mtree » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Ameristrat - Same here. Seems since early September every time I plan a trek to some unclimbed peak the plans have blown up for one reason or another. THREE times it was Challenger/KC! Next season for sure.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Teddy and Mark,

Maybe we should all hit KC and Challenger together next season since we all need those. I was hoping I'd get the combo for sure this summer, but no dice. :( I'm game to go as soon as the snow disappears from the Avenue again. I think it would be a good June or July climb.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby ameristrat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Where do I sign up? Deal!

Postby mtree » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm all in!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby rajz06 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Would love to join but have an engagement Saturday evening which restricts me to a day hike at best. This weekend may be one of the last of this season where snow/ice isn't a concern so I may have to wait a while. :(

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Okay guys, let's do this!!! Time to bust out some 14ers. \:D/

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Just want to give a big, heartfelt thank you to my partners on this trip: Teddy, Matt, Tess and Karthik. I had a wonderful weekend with all of you and could not have accomplished what we did without you. The SW ridge of Ellingwood was an amazing adventure and I feel like I pushed myself beyond my comfort zone and learned a lot; thank you for being there with me and helping me get Ellingwood! :-D
~Nelson Mandela

~Steve Jobs

Postby Neil » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:57 pm

How were snow conditions in the Sangres, especially on north and west aspects? Thanks for any info!

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:26 pm

A little snow here and there. Enough to want Microspikes and poles for steeper spots but not enough to need an ice axe. It seemed pretty dry for the most part.
Attachments
Snow2.jpg
Snow2.jpg (193.05 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Snow1.jpg
Snow1.jpg (190.75 KiB) Viewed 225 times
~Nelson Mandela

~Steve Jobs

Postby ameristrat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 pm

I can post pics later, but South and West facing were almost completely devoid of snow. SW Ridge of Ellingwood Point was completely dry.

North and East facing are holding snow. The trail up Blanca was probably 90% covered above 12,500 feet with Snow 6 - 12" deep.

The south side of the Crestone Group looked 100% dry. I could not see any snow on any of the peaks from the Blanca Massif.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Neil » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:56 pm

SilverLynx and Ameristrat,

Thank you both for information. It will go to good use! Glad you all had a successful weekend.

Neil
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

PreviousNext