Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Burning Bear?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Burning Bear?

Postby bad andy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:58 am

Not a 14er obviously, but seems like an OK place to ask.
Does anyone know what condition the Burning Bear Trail is in right now, as far as snow is concerned?
Thanks.

Re: Burning Bear?

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:08 am

Where is the burning bear trail? Is that the one off of guanella pass by the burning bear campground?

Postby rquayle » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Yes. It is at mile 5, coming from Grant on Guanella Pass Road.

Postby bad andy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:55 am

Guess I may have to go find out!
Thanks anyway.
And, yep that's the one I am wondering about - off the Grant side of Guanella.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:07 am

That's a great trail, are you going to do the east ridge on Biersdstat. I would venture to say that you'll encounter some snow, but not so much as to impede your upwards progress. You can always do the southeast slopes on bierdstat, that's much easier than the east ridge, but off the beaten path.

Postby bad andy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:42 am

Was thinking about mtn biking Burning Bear from Guanella to Hall Valley and back (or vice-versa).
The only other time I have done it, I tore my rotator cuff on a crash earlier in the ride, so didn't get to enjoy it quite as much.

Postby Trudger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Since you have no other replies, I'll throw this out there. I live about 10 miles due east of Grant and 1,000 feet lower than the lowest elevation of Burning Bear. There isn't any snow to report where I am, nor has any accumulated at any point this fall. The Kenoshas appear to have lost much of their snow. Rosalie is slightly snowy looking. Mt. Logan and it's neighbors appeared pretty snow-free from what I recall, but I wasn't expecting a pop quiz on the conditions. While I could be wrong, my GUESS would be that it's not likely to be snowy based on my experiences hiking in this area and living pretty close to Burning Bear. Hopefully you get a more informed reply.

Postby 12ersRule » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Nevada has Burning Man. Colorado should have Burning Bear.

Postby bad andy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks Trudger.
Just saw your reply - it was right on.
I went up Saturday, and it was in great shape. Just a couple short stretches of snow down low.
I have been sick and didn't feel too good, so only went to the high point and back, but it was a great afternoon to be out there.

Postby scott551 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Hey I was just wondering how goo of a mountain bike trail this is? Are there a lot of up and downs? Fast and flowy? Is it worth the drive from Summit?

Postby bad andy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 pm

If you start on the Guanella side, it is a nice mellow climb for ~3 miles to the top. Nothing very techy or steep. Some really cool treed areas, an old cabin and a nice stream. I really like the area and the trail. That's all the farther I went Sat, because I was sick, and too tired to start the downhill toward Hall Valley, and have to climb back up.
From the Hall side, it is a tougher climb, but still good. A couple stretches of hiking involved.
I think the whole trail would be about 13 miles as an out and back.
Worth it from Summit? I can't really answer that, I guess it depends if you're snowed out of riding there and how bad you wanna ride!
I would do it, but I have done some goofy things for rides, so take that for what it's worth.