Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

San Luis Sunday?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

San Luis Sunday?

Postby Neil » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Howdy,

I'm thinking about hiking San Luis on Sunday from Stewart Creek. Looks like a week of sun after the last storm! My usual accomplices are otherwise engaged this weekend, so I'm heading down solo for now. If anyone wants to join, let's talk. I'm a 1000-1300 vert ft./hr hiker (depending on how motivated I feel), have plenty of snow experience, enjoy a wide range of music genres and conversation topics, am house-broken, and like long walks on the beach. Travel wise, I am in Denver and may not leave for the trailhead until later Saturday night and could be convinced to leave on Sunday morning around 4:00 or 5:00 if the weather looks good. I'd be open to carpooling or meeting. Anyway, respond here or PM me if interested!

Neil
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Re: San Luis Sunday?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:23 pm

How are your tastes in wine? :lol:

Runner?
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Neil » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:How are your tastes in wine? :lol:

Runner?

HA! Classic.

Not a runner, just a moderately-paced hiker (hopefully a runner someday). Seems our music tastes could be mildly compatible though. Just a couple of used up hippies ramblin' 'round the La Garitas. :lol: Anyway, let me know if you want to go...I'm driving down regardless and don't mind sharing the space.
-Driving Song

Postby TheGreatCamillo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:15 am

I'd probably be up for heading down there this weekend. I've been wanting to check this one off for a while now and this seems to be a great opportunity. I'd need to hitch a ride though(I live in Arvada) if that's alright. Of course I'd pitch for gas. I'm a fairly fast hiker, certainly not a runner, and also enjoy a variety of musical genres and conversation topics. Let me know if this sounds alright.

Nate

Postby dave alex » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:50 pm

I too am interested but want to climb Baldy Alto instead of San Luis. The routes are the same for at least the first four miles and I time my descent to catch the group on the way out.

I would also pitch in for gas.

Postby MonGoose » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Neil left off that he takes great summit photos.

Postby Neil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Sounds like this plan is coming together. Good stuff! My family and I will be in Fort Collins on Saturday night until at least 8:00, so I really would prefer to leave early Sunday morning, if that works for you guys. Assuming the weather cooperates (which it should), we could leave the Denver area around 3:30 or 4:00, be to the TH by or before 8:30 or 9:00, and return to the metro area by a reasonable time. How does that sound? I'm happy to drive and sounds like you guys can chip in on gas (as will I) so all is good for transportation.

TGC -- As mentioned, I'm a moderate to fast paced hiker, but will probably be more on the moderate side on Sunday just because it will be such a beautiful day and I like to take it all in. Cool with you? I'm not talking slow, but certainly not a non-stop sprint to the summit!

Dave -- I've been looking at Baldy Alto on the topo. Seems like a fun hike. Of course, you're welcome to join...the logistics of meeting back up seem easy. Would you be able to meet at the Dinosaur Lots early Sunday morning?
-Driving Song

Postby Neil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:51 pm

MonGoose wrote:Neil left off that he takes great summit photos.

And you kill hats!! :lol:
-Driving Song

Postby dave alex » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:58 am

An early Sunday meet up sounds great. Let's connect over pm and go from there.

Postby TheGreatCamillo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:38 am

Early Sunday works for me as well. I'm not too interested in trying to break any speed records to the top either. Sounds like its gonna be a great day.

Postby ashlee03 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 am

I may be interested as well. I'm hiking Handies tomorrow to help get a little more acclimated to the altitude.

About me: I'm not a serial killer. I usually climb 800-1000ft an hr depending on steepness. It may help me speed up & keep at a steady pace to hike with others. I usually don't talk unless we're taking a break...need all the oxygen I can get! I'm nice. I'm determined. I've attempted other 14ers. And I'm actually training to trek to the base of Everest. Believe it or not, but I also like long walks along the beach! Small world! :)