Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing Gym

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Climbing Gym

Postby 14erAddict » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Jesse M wrote:I have been looking to get back into gym climbing for this winter. Any recomendations for gyms in the Springs? I would also like to find some partners to train with during the winter with hopes of doing some climbing at Red Rock Canyon and Garden of the Gods this spring. My normal partner moved out of the Springs this summer. He also had his third child this summer so climbing was sparse. Let me know if you want to go to a gym, I just don't know where to go yet.

CityROCK!!!
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir

Postby crossfitter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Oh another relevant piece of information for the boulder gyms: At movement you get one free pass per month to use on anyone who hasn't been there before. At BRC you get unlimited passes to do the same thing.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby d_baker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:14 pm

14erAddict wrote:
Jesse M wrote:I have been looking to get back into gym climbing for this winter. Any recomendations for gyms in the Springs? I would also like to find some partners to train with during the winter with hopes of doing some climbing at Red Rock Canyon and Garden of the Gods this spring. My normal partner moved out of the Springs this summer. He also had his third child this summer so climbing was sparse. Let me know if you want to go to a gym, I just don't know where to go yet.

CityROCK!!!

+1
City Rock is downtown on Nevada.
Autobelays and you can dry tool. Bouldering too.

Postby d_baker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:27 pm

And oh yeah, City Rock (in Colorado Springs) is having their Ice Night soon....

ice_night.jpg
ice_night.jpg (45.53 KiB) Viewed 678 times

Postby Jesse M » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks 14erAddict and d_baker! I will check out CityRock, It looks like an A+ establishment from their website. I am getting sweaty palms just thinking about it. :-k

Postby GregMiller » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 pm

d_baker wrote:And oh yeah, City Rock (in Colorado Springs) is having their Ice Night soon....

Does anyone in Boulder do anything like this?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby GregMiller » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Also, I typically do Wednesdays at the Westminster City Park rec center - yes it's a short and small wall, but its made out of real stone, stacked brick style, which is great for working the fingers and crimps, plus it's always empty, and the guy who runs it lets me do the fun stuff like rappelling, practice rescues, and top belay, plus it has a chimney! (And it's only $4.25 for residents, and $6 for non)
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby scramble » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:17 am

good idea, i usually go to the BRC a few times a week. i have been digging the 8-11 pm time range. i haven't been keeping a regular schedule... mostly i ask around a few hours before. if you like climbing later at night, send me a pm, it would be cool to meet some new folks.

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:28 pm

I Man, I know I threatened to get out and climb with you over the summer and never made it happen, but I am hoping to get back on some gym walls this winter. I'm off with a broken finger for the time being, but I typically put in a few hours (6-9, 7-10 ish) on random weeknights at RJ1 in Thornton. Out of shape with weak hand, so I will likely run toproped 5.8-5.9 and bouldering cave for a while.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby GregMiller » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Anyone up to climb at RJ2 (Centennial) tomorrow (Friday) between ~3:30 and 6:30? It turns out I need to burn a couple hours after work before the evenings's festivities. PM if interested. Thanks!
Still Here
Langston Hughes

Postby I Man » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 am

ThrillSeekers Weds 10/23 and Thursday 10/24 6pm - Close.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:59 am

I Man wrote:ThrillSeekers Weds 10/23 and Thursday 10/24 6pm - Close.

I may join you for this on Thursday.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

PreviousNext