Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

First Ascent Guide Glove

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: First Ascent Guide Glove

Postby Carl » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 pm

I've used the First Ascent Guide Glove a bunch. Similar to the Black Diamond Patrol Glove or the Cloudveil Troller Glove, which I've also used a lot. I like them all. Warm enough for most days and fairly dexterous, although none would last me one season if I used them exclusively. I recently got a pair of the Arcteryx Alpha SV glove. At a retail of $275 I'm expecting magical things to happen when I wear them this winter. So far I've only worn them around the house this summer. In 65 to 70 degree temps they're quite toasty. +1 for Hestras too.

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:44 pm

Carl wrote:I've used the First Ascent Guide Glove a bunch.

Similar to the Black Diamond Patrol Glove or the Cloudveil Troller Glove, which I've also used a lot.

I like them all.

I recently got a pair of the Arcteryx Alpha SV glove. At a retail of $275

+1 for Hestras too.

Wow, sounds like a pretty serious gear addiction, Carl. :-D

Postby Andymcp1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Any reccomendations on which Hestra gloves to check out? I looked at backcountry and they have like 30 different pairs. Warmth and dexterity are the most important factors for me

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:15 pm

dswink wrote:
Carl wrote:I've used the First Ascent Guide Glove a bunch.

Similar to the Black Diamond Patrol Glove or the Cloudveil Troller Glove, which I've also used a lot.

I like them all.

I recently got a pair of the Arcteryx Alpha SV glove. At a retail of $275

+1 for Hestras too.

Wow, sounds like a pretty serious gear addiction, Carl. :-D

+1 to Carl's gear addiction call out

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Andymcp1 wrote:Any reccomendations on which Hestra gloves to check out? I looked at backcountry and they have like 30 different pairs. Warmth and dexterity are the most important factors for me

I have this one, Hestra Army Ascent.... http://www.backcountry.com/hestra-army-leather-ascent-glove

I also have the Hestra Heli. Not sure if it matters but neither of mine are gore-tex, but you can get them with it.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Carl » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:09 pm

Andymcp1 wrote:Any reccomendations on which Hestra gloves to check out? I looked at backcountry and they have like 30 different pairs. Warmth and dexterity are the most important factors for me

At the risk of getting called out again, I have the Hestra ski cross http://www.bentgate.com/hestra-ski-cross-glove.html. Dexterity is amazing and warmth is good enough for most ski days in my opinion. On sale at Bent Gate right now.

Flylow gloves are cheap and great for many Colorado winter day trips. I use those too. Or DIY.

dswink wrote:Wow, sounds like a pretty serious gear addiction, Carl. :-D

I won't deny that :). I'll simply add that I can't defend myself on here about how much I might have spent, or not spent, to obtain that list of fantastic gloves. If ya catch my drift.

Postby Cruiser » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 pm

+1 for the Hestra Ski Cross gloves. I think they are a great mix of warmth and dexterity for all but the chilliest CO days. I liked the Flylow Ridge gloves that I picked up last season too, but I think the Hestra's are warmer and more dexterous. Mostly I use them for bc ski days and I rotate them out with my trusty old Kinco 901's for early morning snowblower duty. I don't know if they make them anymore but I also have a pair of all leather gloves from Smartwool that have a merino liner and some good synthetic insulation. They're probably the warmest gloves I own but they are a little bulky for normal ski/skin/sled days.

Regardless of which glove I wear I ALWAYS wear a pair of rei performance glove liners. They do a fantastic job of keeping the chill off my hands when I have to pull them out of the main gloves for quick tasks that require greater dexterity (like having a quick pee before switching from touring mode to ski mode).
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Hestra = 110$
Flylow = 28$ (40$ for Ridge)

I have no experience with Hestra, but Flylow Tough Guy and/or Ridge and/or their Mitts will keep your hands warm enough, at least on the coldest of inbounds days. Can't speak for high altitude expeditions, but I imagine if you are skimping for cheaper gloves, you probably aren't spending thousands on international trips.

Kinco are 17$ at Ace Hardware and are equally as warm as Flylow. Take after D_Baker and pimp a pair in your next TR. Kinco big wigs might be contacting you soon after with free glove offerings.

Previous