Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing Gym

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Climbing Gym

Postby SolarAlex » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:10 pm

im always looking for a partner to go to movement...currently just top roping, best ive done is 10b. gonna take the lead test after a few more mock leads. PM me if you climb here and need a partner

cheers

Postby 14erkid » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:11 pm

I climb almost every Friday at RJ2 from 8-11 PM. If you're a student it's only $8 for entry at 8.

Postby Built-to-Last » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:37 pm

I goto RnJ in centennial on Tuesdays @330 regularly and some Thursdays. I am new to climbing so would love to have some partners who are new as well or who are willing to help some one learn.

Postby SolarAlex » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 pm

anyone wanna climb at movement let me know, i can usually go with a day or 2 notice.

what is the brc like?

Postby USAKeller » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 pm

The BRC is a little bit smaller than Movement but nice. And has auto-belays.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby B[3] » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Another key difference between the BRC and Movement: the BRC has easier parking (if you don't fit in the lot, you can street park). :lol:
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby crossfitter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:06 pm

SolarAlex wrote:anyone wanna climb at movement let me know, i can usually go with a day or 2 notice.

what is the brc like?

Having climbed at both for a while, I'll give my assessment of the two. Both are nice gyms you won't go wrong with, however.

Movement is a fair bit taller, meaning longer routes, and is generally much better lit. It gets a lot of natural light and has a very clean, modern feel to it. Their overhang lead wall is really impressive and a little better than BRC's, but the gap has closed quite a bit since BRC's recent renovation. The easiest routes on these walls check in at 5.10 but you can't top rope them at either gym so for some people this isn't much of a consideration. For the most part unless you are climbing 5.12 or harder it doesn't make much of a difference.

Movement does a really great job of changing over routes quickly so there's always something new to climb. The main downside is that most of the routes are on a featureless wall which causes many of the routes to feel the same. It attracts a younger, more hardcore demographic; you'll see a lot of students and elite climbers on a regular basis. One really cool thing that movement does is organize a "rope up" once or twice a week where you get paired off with other climbers which makes for a really easy way to make partners.

Boulder Rock Club is smaller than movement but it has tons of features - roofs, aretes, dihedrals, etc which makes for very varied climbing. The routes are a little shorter but the routesetters have very distinctive styles so every route is memorable. Unfortunately, the turnover is definitely slower so if you climb a lot there's a chance that you won't always have a lot of new options to choose from. Of course, if you're only going once a week it won't really matter though. The main room of the BRC is much darker than movement but the expansion room is pretty similar. At times it can feel a little cramped and claustrophobic, especially after work during the winter months. The demographic tends to be older with a lot of weekend warriors - lots of parents and young professionals but there are some students there. As Caroline mentioned, the BRC does have autobelays which opens up the option for climbing solo. To the best of my knowledge movement does not have any autobelays so you're stuck with bouldering if you don't have a partner.

The one place the BRC really shines is their free fitness classes. They are all drop-in and range from strength training to HIIT, core, and yoga. The head trainer at the BRC is really awesome and knows his stuff, and they are an excellent way to get in shape. This was the factor that really won me over since I take regular advantage of them. Both gyms are pretty good and a lot of it honestly comes down to where your partners climb at. If most of the people you know climb at one of the gyms, it's a tough sell to go to the other one since they are both really good.
Last edited by crossfitter on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby I Man » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:09 pm

USAKeller wrote:The BRC is a little bit smaller than Movement but nice. And has auto-belays.

Auto-Belays are too scary for my taste.

My crew is still climbing in Denver this week. Wednesday night, anytime after 5 at ThrillSeekers. Probably head to RnJ2 or BRC next week though.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Jesse M » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:48 pm

I have been looking to get back into gym climbing for this winter. Any recomendations for gyms in the Springs? I would also like to find some partners to train with during the winter with hopes of doing some climbing at Red Rock Canyon and Garden of the Gods this spring. My normal partner moved out of the Springs this summer. He also had his third child this summer so climbing was sparse. Let me know if you want to go to a gym, I just don't know where to go yet.

Postby GregMiller » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I Man wrote:
USAKeller wrote:The BRC is a little bit smaller than Movement but nice. And has auto-belays.

Auto-Belays are too scary for my taste.

My crew is still climbing in Denver this week. Wednesday night, anytime after 5 at ThrillSeekers. Probably head to RnJ2 or BRC next week though.

Yeah, I'm not entirely used to/comfortable with the idea, but whenever I'm there solo, I actually use them to back me up on an up and down climb. I'll find where there's a 5.8 or so next to a 5.6 or 5.7, and climb up the 5.8 and down the 5.6, it's a pretty good workout. Yeah, you're not getting the technical work as much, but it's better than nothing.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby colokeith » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm interested in partners at RnJ in Centennial. I am pretty much a newb to climbing.

Weeknights around 6Pm are ideal.
Also open every other Friday during the day.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby SolarAlex » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:39 pm

you guys wanna organize a meetup at one of these gyms in the next couple weeks? i dont really care where, but my vote would be movement since i have a membership there for another couple weeks haha.

PreviousNext