Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for Trail running locations (Denver)

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Looking for Trail running locations (Denver)

Postby Scotzman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm looking for trails to jog/run in or close to Westminster (within 20-30min tops) as a routine form of exercise and training. It can be a local park or a close by hill or mountain, nothing intense, just something that's easy to get to and more fun than running on a treadmill. On a similar note, some nice smaller hikes within an hours drive?

Thanks much!
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Re: Looking for Trail running locations (Denver)

Postby CODave » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:30 pm

In Westminster your best bet is probably the big dry creek trail. There are several "trailheads" to get to the trail all over Westminster. Another option I'd recommend is park at the south Mesa trailhead just outside eldorado canyon where there are a lot of options.

Postby Scotzman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Alright I'll look into both of those, thanks!
Scotzman

Postby DaveSwink » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Coal Creek Trail (trailhead on McCaslin) http://www.bouldercounty.org/find/library/environment/ccrctrailsystemmap.pdf

There is another pleasant section of the Coal Creek Trail accessible from the little park at Roosevelt Ave and Bella Vista Dr in Louisville (look up tha park on google maps and you will see the trail).

South Mesa Trail in Boulder OSMP is awesome, but be aware there is fee for parking, I think it is $5 or $25 annual (the way to go).

Postby peter303 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:42 am

Just about any place next to the foothills along C470 or 93. Choose any of the numerous trailheads along the road. I like red Rocks, Hayden Green Mountain, both Table Mountains, Table Mesa area ...

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 am

Check out the websites for both Boulder County and Jefferson County Open Space... Right there are a couple of dozen trails of various levels of length.

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:16 am

Agree with Jeff Co open space parks.
http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R108.htm

Lots of options there. My favorites:
White Ranch - good trails, lots of decent up and downs.

Green Mt - fast trail if you run the perimeter, then a nice steep to end. (Assuming you go clockwise)

Mathew/winter Dino ridge loop - VERY Favorite. Start from the MW parking, head south up and over the high trail, down towards red rocks, pick up Dakota Ridge trail and head north over Dino ridge, descend back east to the parking.

--D

Postby Scotzman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 am

Ok, very nice! I'm excited to check them out. :)
Scotzman

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 am

Some good suggestions here that I've done and have yet to do (coal creek trail is on the to-do).

If I may, the past few weekends during this shoulder season up high I have been busing it from Downtown denver to Boulder with my bike (its the BV that goes up 36). Once in Boulder, I hop onto my bike, ride up to the TH and hit the trail.

I know you asked for some close by trails, but this method I have now perfected is green and I highly suggest it!! You can get on at Church Ranch or Westminster P n R which are in Westminster.

El Do canyon trail was really awesome and you can link it up with the Walker Ranch Loop (note: tried this from NCAR...its a haul so I didn't throw the loop in).

Once in Boulder you have a ton of options:
Bear Peak via Fern Canyon, Green Mtn, Mt Sanitas. Google OSMP trails, they have a really awesome trail map on the site.

Have fun!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby CRAIGO » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:31 am

Great group that meets every Thursday at different locations. They are running Green Mountain this week. There's also trail maps on this website.

http://www.denvertrailrunners.org/

Postby leggaj5 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:58 am

White Ranch is my go-to spot. Though it's mostly used by mountain bikers, they don't seem to mind too much.

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:19 am

Jefferson County Open Space recently released a Trails Rating Guide that provides a comprehensive overview of all its offerings. It's geared slightly toward mountain bikers, but I hope* it's useful for runners and hikers as well.

*I work for JCOS and helped put it together, haha.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Next