Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby fairy_dust_61788 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am

I am interested for sure! Would love to meet up with some more experienced people and pick their brains of all they have to offer. :) Would also like to finally become a part of this gang of people. We'll see what I can finagle so that I may attend. If I can't make it, I hope everyone has a great time!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 am

fairy_dust_61788 wrote:Would also like to finally become a part of this gang of people.

We're just one normal, big dysfunctional family. :-D

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Not sure how this will all work out, but I'm hoping to be available to hike with folks that want to chat about winter, peaks, climbing, etc. There is a group of about 15 from Springs that I'll be starting with at 8. On a hike like this, it's natural to get spread out. The anticipated total group size for the day would be 50-100 people. Many folks like an earlier start, so there will probably be people scattered in various small groups along the east ridge. But to the extent possible, I'd like to be available for discussion and mentoring.

Small group leaders
Let's see if we can get some experienced folks interested in mentoring to be available for the 8am start. Post here or pm.

Nametags
Is everyone ok with this idea? Can we please all try to come up with something for a personal nametag? It can be your avatar printed out with your screen name, or something as simple as a piece of paper with your name written on it. It would be nice to be able to get to know more people from the site, and this would be a great way to put a name with a face.

Trench gang
Depending on conditions, Jay521 and I will be going to check things out on the Thursday or Friday before the event.
If anyone would like to join us for the pre-event festivities, please let me know. I doubt there will be much if any trail to break, but if we get big snow that week, it would be fun putting in a trench. We're planning for Thursday, late start, but leaving Friday open as an alternate if needed.

Costumes
The costumes last year were great, so if you're comfortable with it, feel free to exhibit the passion for fashion. Keep in mind that there will be a lot of beginners, and depending on weather and conditions, the better costumes may not be so good for wind and cold. So if you're not comfortable with an elaborate Halloween costume, just come as a winter mountaineer. :wink:
For the creative gouls and goblins, should we do a poll after the event to nominate the top three costumes?

Looking forward to seeing everyone this year!

Postby I Man » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am

Jim - I will have a group of 4 attempting the Inwood Arete in 2 teams. We are aiming to meet the group on the summit by 1pm - but we will have to see how it goes.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:50 am

Has anyone done a count yet based on the responses? Sounds like a massive group.

It's on my calender, so I plan on attending at this time. Now I just need someone creative to come up with a costume idea..... :-k
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:22 am

Lemmiwinks wrote:Has anyone done a count yet based on the responses?

Should we do a poll?

Last year, there was a threat of unsettled weather. We had about 50.
The year before, weather was perfect. There were about 70.

This year, there will be an additional 15 or 16, in additon to 14ers.com.

Ultimately, participation is dependent upon forecast weather that week.

Postby sharkgirl » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm

This is my first post but I have been lurking for awhile. My husband and I would like to tag along. We have completed serveral 14ers but none in the Winter. I would really like to experience a Winter hike because I don't think I can wait 9 long months for the Summer. It's too big of an addiction.

Postby Jay521 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:30 pm

sharkgirl wrote:This is my first post but I have been lurking for awhile. My husband and I would like to tag along. We have completed serveral 14ers but none in the Winter. I would really like to experience a Winter hike because I don't think I can wait 9 long months for the Summer. It's too big of an addiction.

Then this is a perfect chance to try one in the Winter. Come on and join the fun!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby marciamallow » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:16 pm

It's looking like LuLuLuv and I will be there.

Postby wildlobo71 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Pushing the quota on parking at and near the TH... I will be there, too!

We really should start organizing a carpool plan now. Rubiblack has 3 empty seats, coming from Denver. Won't camp; so it'll be an early morning depart. Plan is to meet riders at the Wooly Mammoth P&R, across from the Conoco gas station. Buzz me if you think you can hold a tune.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:55 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:Pushing the quota on parking at and near the TH...We really should start organizing a carpool plan now.

Bill, would it be worth starting a separate thread for organizing carpools?

Postby SilverLynx » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:18 am

I will most likely be busy that weekend so I'm pretty sure I won't be able to go. Have fun, those who do!
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby sjpwarsaw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:16 am

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'll be there. Most likely driving up Saturday morning. Might have one more with me.

PreviousNext