Is this weekend a wash?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Is this weekend a wash?

Post by RyanSchilling »

Might want to look up the meaning of "it's a wash".
phillinley
14ers: 15  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by phillinley »

Crusty wrote:If you can't see more than 2 feet in front of you, does it make any difference whether the peak is a 14er, 13er, 8er, 5er?
I guess that was really what I was getting at. I forget sometimes that I only have 18 posts on here so when you see someone post coming from illinois to climb, might set off some concerns if you don't know their background. Yes I've been in multiple snow storms where I can't see five feet in front of me (one of those I had the company of Horton on Quandary when he was still ruling that peak). I try to avoid those now in my old age if I can avoid it. But man, being in a storm that isn't a whiteout makes the climb that much more exhilirating. A class 1 walkup begins to feel like an epic adventure. AMS once on Bierstadt. I know the signs, that's why I make my first climb always something class 1 or class 2 with little exposure and nothing with route finding difficulties.

Nothing wrong with 13ers. I was just really wanting to get a big time high above everything feeling in the sawatch before the season closed. This was a miserable climbing year for me ( turned back on Rainier and Hood due to dangerous snow pack, Decalibron dodging lightning bolts so it was more stressful than fun, and thunderstorms in utah and wyoming when I was driving all over the state to just find something. ) So this was my last chance to salvage a nice climb for the year. So instead I headed north to do lowly county highpoints in Iowa and South Dakota. Not even close to being as fun, but it's better than nothin :D At least for a county high pointer.
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

This storm has a LOT of moisture. Snow levels will be very high and the snow that falls will be heavy with a lot of water content. Id say that quite a few fourteeners are getting a lot of snow above about 13,000 ft. With all the rain lower down I would be VERY wary of rock slides given that most slopes are devoid of any snow or ice holding things together. Next week looks nice with a very nice, warmer and more stable atmosphere. I would wait a few days until things settle down.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Columbia on Sunday...crappy rock...crappy unconsolidated snow...should be a great time! I'll be camping at treeline Sat. night come swing by the REI half-dome and say hello!
AspenEx
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AspenEx »

It's been snowing in Aspen all morning.
Ascend - Explore - Discover

http://www.aspenexpeditions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

We got a dusting this morning at 9,000. It's gone now, but there's a good amount of snow above 10,000 and quite a lot above treeline.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Just up on Silverheels today. Snowed more and longer than the forecast indicated. Winds were pretty intense, enough to make footing difficult at times. All in all a good day though. I love hiking when it's snowing but hate when it's blowing that hard
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

ak47 wrote:no such thing as freshies at a resort
you must be skiing the wrong resort, but feel free to keep doing that