Mt. Sherman Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scottmiao
14ers: 21  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Sherman Conditions

Post by Scottmiao »

Does anyone know if there is snow/ice on the Mt. Sherman Standard Route (SouthWest Ridge from Fourmile creek) ? Planning on doing it this coming Sunday (Oct. 14th).
Scottmiao
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Sherman Conditions

Post by Scottmiao »

That is too bad. hope it will still be manageable by Sunday.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Unless some truly monstrous storm blows in for the next few days, even if there is snow it's almost certainly going to be windblown and easily manageable. I suspect it would generally take some extraordinary conditions for you to need anything more than boots (and maybe traction aids) to climb Sherman this early in the year.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Gratz is saying that higher elevations could get 5-10" of snow by Saturday afternoon.
http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
\:D/
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Scottmiao
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scottmiao »

"http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado". This is a really good web site to know the snow condition. It sounds like from today's report it has less snow than predicated. I guess is the good sign. I am going to continue monitor the snow condition and make a deiciosn tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
SKIBREC
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SKIBREC »

in breck its 50 deg and light rain ...about a hr ago on loveland pass it was p/c and 39 deg and on hoosier pass about 20 mins ago it was 37 deg and drizzle ...light dusting of snow on the ground....snow seems to be around 12,000 ft level....
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Post by B[3] »

Sherman's standard route looked like it was clear of snow this morning (photo taken from Mt. Sheridan). The snow started around 11 this morning--initially, it was very light and then got alot heavier around 11:30 am. The snow was falling rapidly and sticking on my descent from Horseshoe. I was very happy to have microspikes! I can't comment as to how Mt. Sherman looked after the snow started falling, as it was obscured by clouds.
Attachments
sherman 10-12.jpg
sherman 10-12.jpg (93.97 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
Holmoose
14ers: 51 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Holmoose »

Was up Sherman this morning. Snow, ice, wind & cold. We were the first to summit today but there was a solo guy and one group of three behind us. The clouds cleared out after we left.
skearns2
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skearns2 »

Anybody have an idea on the conditions of Elbert, Antero, Tabequache, and Sherman? I just want to do the standard routes. Will I need an ice axe or crampons yet?
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

We climbed Hahvahd on Saturday, despite the massive outpouring of trepidation expressed on this forum. There was about 4-6 inches of fresh snow above 12,000', with drifts up to a foot deep in some spots. Some of the lower sections had melted and refrozen into patches of ice. We bare-booted the whole climb, but other climbers reported benefits from wearing microspikes.

I would bring microspikes just in case there are regions of ice; otherwise should be fun. Allow for significantly longer ascent time than you would be accustomed to in the summer.