Is this weekend a wash?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
phillinley
14ers: 15  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Is this weekend a wash?

Post by phillinley »

I'm currently on my way to Colorado for the weekend, was hoping to hit Holy Cross and Harvard on the weekend, or something else in the Sawatch or Front Range. But looking at the weather, things look nasty tomorrow and just as bad Saturday. Am I better off head back home (I'm driving from Illinois), and coming back another weekend? Or is it not going to be as bad as it looks on the forecast?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Is this weekend a wash?

Post by Jim Davies »

The answer is....yes.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
phillinley
Trip Reports (0)

Post by phillinley »

I know, I'm grasping at any crazy hope. Just been a really bad year with trip after trip running into junk weather. This weekend was my last chance to salvage the season with something decent.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Pretty much every range shows a 70-80% chance of snow. Even if the snow doesn't hit or amount to much, the high winds and cold temps will make for a less than enjoyable outing. I was planning to hike Saturday, but have changed my plans to Friday to try and beat the storm.....we'll see.

-Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

phillinley wrote:I'm currently on my way to Colorado for the weekend, was hoping to hit Holy Cross and Harvard on the weekend, or something else in the Sawatch or Front Range. But looking at the weather, things look nasty tomorrow and just as bad Saturday. Am I better off head back home (I'm driving from Illinois), and coming back another weekend? Or is it not going to be as bad as it looks on the forecast?
Saturday's probably out but Sunday looks pretty decent. If you don't mind some snow on the ground. Holy Cross might be a bit much, but Harvard's probably doable. But I will say that the last bit on Harvard is a bit dicey with snow on it.

You could try getting up the road to G&T on Sunday. If you can't make it all the way, you could just walk the rest (good times). How bout Antero? La Plata?
phillinley
Trip Reports (0)

Post by phillinley »

smoove wrote:
Saturday's probably out but Sunday looks pretty decent. If you don't mind some snow on the ground. Holy Cross might be a bit much, but Harvard's probably doable. But I will say that the last bit on Harvard is a bit dicey with snow on it.

You could try getting up the road to G&T on Sunday. If you can't make it all the way, you could just walk the rest (good times). How bout Antero? La Plata?

It would be fine if I didn't have to be back home by Monday night. I just can't justify spending $250 in gas for just one climb.

Absolutely miserable conditions would not deter me. But life threatening lightning and total white out does.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

phillinley wrote:
smoove wrote:

It would be fine if I didn't have to be back home by Monday night. I just can't justify spending $250 in gas for just one climb.

Absolutely miserable conditions would not deter me. But life threatening lightning and total white out does.
Understandable. If you really had a yearning to do something this weekend (and not think of it as a waste), you could do some lower peak near Denver (e.g., Bergen Peak) where the weather would be relatively mild. Then go do a 14er on Sunday. Or just come another weekend. ;)
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

FIRST REAL STORM OF THE YEAR!!!!

Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

It's a wash for me. Maybe a low peak or something.
Snow? High winds? No, thanks.
Gonna stay home, drink beer, eat some ribs, and think about good things to come.
This is a good thing that's arrived, at least in our fridge.
ChasinFreshies_FINAL.png
ChasinFreshies_FINAL.png (204.9 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Climb in the snow. Seriously. What's wrong with that?
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

Neil wrote:Climb in the snow. Seriously. What's wrong with that?
Truer words were never spoken. Right on, Neil.
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

Time to tone down the testosterone guys.

Climbing in a storm is riskier with a higher chance of getting off route. That is just a fact.

It is also just not fun. This weekend is a perfect example of a day where you don't need to be in the mountains. If you learn to pass up days with a forecast like this one you will have a long, enjoyable career in the mountains.

I think when we give advice to people on this forum we should keep in mind to whom we are giving it and the potential consequences of someone following our advice. In general, I don't think we should be suggesting to people we don't know they should climb Holy Cross in a storm.