Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby GregMiller » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 am

SurfNTurf wrote:
jmc5040 wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:I learned the basics of winter mountaineering on a similar hike (January Quandary IV), and I had a lot of fun returning the favor at last year's Winter Welcomer. I'm definitely in again. Especially since I missed the Fall Gathering...

I'll stick to the standard route, since the main point of this is the social/educational atmosphere. In fact, if anyone wants to hike in a short ways Friday night and go over the basics of snow camping, I might just hate myself enough to be talked into it.

If I'm home (work schedule unknown) I'd be up for snow camping. I've been trying to talk Alicia into going somewhere and building a snow cave for a night just for practice purposes. Are you talking tenting or snow caving? My three season tent will still work since it's technically fall right? :)

I was planning on tent camping. I'd think a three-season tent would work with a warm bag, or you can rent a four-season from REI. I could also probably get my hands on an extra three-person, four-season for free.

I just checked with the Boulder REI, they don't have any "4-season" tents to rent, know of anywhere else that might? I have a 3-season test and a cold weather bag, so it's not the end of the world, but I'd like to try out a 4-season if possible.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:40 am

The downtown Denver Flagship REI has four-season tents for rent (REI Mountain 3), though I don't envy anyone having to carry one of those 10-pound behemoths.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:20 am

I'm interested, it will depend on how busy I am that weekend. Hopefully the weather is as good as it was in those pictures!

Postby GregMiller » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 am

SurfNTurf wrote:though I don't envy anyone having to carry one of those 10-pound behemoths.

Oh come now, REI only puts it at 9 lbs 13 oz :shock:

It'll be interesting to see what people show up with, I might just try my bivy again if a 4-season tent won't work out.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby Scott P » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:50 am

I have a 3-season test and a cold weather bag, so it's not the end of the world, but I'd like to try out a 4-season if possible.

I have some I could loan if you want. Or are you looking to try just a certain one?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby GregMiller » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am

Scott P wrote:
I have a 3-season test and a cold weather bag, so it's not the end of the world, but I'd like to try out a 4-season if possible.

I have some I could loan if you want. Or are you looking to try just a certain one?

I'm willing to try whatever you have - I don't know what I want in a 4-season tent, and I figure the only way to figure that out is to try a bunch of different ones.
Still Here
Langston Hughes

Postby HarknessHooligans » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am

I (Lady Hooligan) will most likely not be able to attend....But I think my husband Sir Hooligan will be going.

Postby BenfromtheEast » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:38 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:I'm planning to hike in a very short distance from the TH and camp Friday night.

Will there be room in your tent for me?

Postby Kitten » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:43 pm

We were planning on going with our 3-season tent. We have tested it before and seems to work for us. Keep us in the loop!
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby 14erAddict » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
speth wrote:Costumes?

Optional.
The primary purpose is educational and social.
So, yes, come in costume if you desire!

Aww man. I think costumes should be required!! :-D
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir

Postby colokeith » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:34 pm

I am tentatively in for this. I am recovering from a bike wreck last week, so it depends on if I am mended enough.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Formed » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 pm

I am down for this! I live in Littleton(Bowles and c470) if anyone wants to car pool I would be willing to pitch for gas money or vice versa. I would also be willing to meet someone up at the T-rex parking lot. Let me know!

PreviousNext