Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:53 am

susanjoypaul wrote:I think the best lesson I taught my kids was this, "Figure out what makes you happy, what really makes you happy - not other people happy - and do it."

mtndude3737 wrote:Making other people happy makes me happy. I want my obituary to have two sentences: His family loved him. He died completely worn out in the service of others.

The two are not mutually exclusive :-D

Postby mtndude3737 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:13 am

susanjoypaul wrote:The two are not mutually exclusive :-D

:-k Your literary twist of the dissimilar words "mutually" and "exclusive" has confounded me. However, I was not writing in opposition to your well thought-out summary of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. You merely made me think of how the entire thread applies to me personally. Besides, I would never intentionally be negative and argumentative to a climber such as yourself. :P
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby Obese_goat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:18 pm

lmao I had to post this on my face book. I think ColoradoKevin said it best. I use to live for play. Slowly became a live to work kind of guy, and now Im struggling to balance it out. I'm a total dirtball stoner snowboarder stuck in a corporate nice shirt and duck shoes body. Seems I will never have a high paying career because of my commitment to the mountains. All day at work I'm daydreaming about being in the mountains but, there always comes a point when I'm actually out there (generally after I get hurt or am completely exhausted) and I think to myself "Damn it, I've wasted so much time, money, effort, and energy to be here in the mountains right now and I really should have been at work making money for my daughter!" lol I'm hope in due time she will understand and be willing to spend more time with me in the mountains. She is only 6. I'm sure that if the mountain version of myself crossed paths with my corporate self, they would totally smoke weed together for hours and argue about who is living their life properly! lol
“The mountain has left me feeling renewed, more content and positive than I’ve been for weeks, as if something has been given back after a long absence, as if my eyes have opened once again. For this time at least, I’ve let myself be rooted in the unshakable sanity of the senses, spared my mind the burden of too much thinking, turned myself outward to experience the world and inward to savor the pleasures it has given me.”
― Richard Nelson

"Going to the mountains is going home.”
― John Muir

https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/StevoMagaa

Postby larkinrx2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Of course we all wonder if this was Middlebrook back in the day......... :-D

What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Ha!
Sorry, I wouldn't drive a VW. 8)
However, I did once own an '76 van with inside paneling, shag carpet and a killer home stereo wired in for the Rush. Oh, and a cabinet which conveniently held a 1/4 keg.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby GregMiller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Ha!
Sorry, I wouldn't drive a VW. 8)
However, I did once own an '76 van with inside paneling, shag carpet and a killer home stereo wired in for the Rush. Oh, and a cabinet which conveniently held a 1/4 keg.

Once? What do you mean once? Why would you ever sell such a sweet ride?!?! \:D/
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:25 pm

I still miss it. :(

Postby USAKeller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:38 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I still miss it. :(

I'll bet you do - after hearing all the stories! :-"
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Shawnee Bob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Live to work, or work to live. I choose the latter. But I definitely appreciate the former.

In two-plus decades in the news business, I've worked hellish hours, in crappy offices and on high-pressure deadlines. In the earlier days of my career, the pay was abyssmal; now, it's livable. I've seen the best and worst of people, and at the same time, worked with some really fantastic folks. The job has given me enough money to flirt with this whole mountain thing, but in the course of doing the job, I've also been able to see, hear, smell and taste things that otherwise would have been denied me. And I've learned a lot.

I toy with the idea of becoming some backcountry wanderer or perhaps make a living doing something like becoming a forest ranger. But I can't complain. If variety is the spice of life, I've been living life's version of Thai food for quite a long time now.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Postby SuperiorTrailHiker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:19 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:It could be worse. Do work, get money, do stuff.

I worked with an attorney years back who had a photograph of himself sitting knee-deep in muddy water in a bunker in Vietnam. Instead of being on general display, the picture faced him on his desk, next to his phone, and a little brass plaque on the frame said "Never Forget. It Can Always Be Worse."

Guy came in promptly at nine, worked like hell all day, and left promptly at 4:30 no matter what. There was a 50/50 chance he'd be in on any given Friday. "Priorities outrank demands" he'd say sometimes - I liked the balance and try to emulate it.

Take pride in what you do, earn your pay, but protect your time for yourself and your family. There is no constant "true self" for me, it fluctuates by the hour on any given day, depending. Yes, I can get that project in on time and under budget, no I will not miss my son's game for your meeting.

Postby Point North » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:07 pm

True, but I was referring to the fact that once you get married, and especially once you have kids, the corporate route is just about the only option. That's reality in today's world. Unless your daddy left you a few million.

And the drive to bond with a spouse and reproduce is a very powerful genetic software program that no normal person can resist. So in that sense, there really is no free will. Many a young man has said ... "I'm not gonna get married because it'll crimp my style. You'll never catch me in a suit and tie." :wft: Uh huh.

LTbear wrote:
Point North wrote:Like it or not, we're ruled by our biology and its software programs, primarily the reproductive program. Meet a girl and your "true self" quickly becomes the man in the suit.

Look deeper, and you may find that "you" are not in control at all. Your genes are. Most of a person's life is dedicated to ensuring that their genes are immortal -- getting passed along forever in successive generations of individuals. "You" are just along for the ride.

So perhaps the "you" behind the scenes really would like to spend a lifetime bummin around doing what you really want, but your genes and their software will have none of it.

Meh. Don't get too defeatist about it all. Your genes don't determine THAT much about your thought processes, I can assure you. Your mind, as you cultivate it, has immense power. (And I'm a genetecist).

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm

To some the psychological approach feels de-humanizing. What is the "self" other than a set of grey cells that are some function of our genetics and environment. Haha, it's an interesting notion to say the least.

One paradigm is that the abstract concept of humanity is still preserved even though neuroscience/psychology can map many components of our behavior and personality to our genetics and environment. For example, sure a computer is made up of some architecture of an arrangement of transistors and bits, but I'm more concerned about my ability to stream the nfl game than the permutation of the bit states.

Another good point: do higher levels of "freedom" really lead to higher well-being? There's an excellent argument made in psychologist Barry Schwartz's "The Paradox of Choice" that suggests that our limited cognitive resources make it so that we're actually paralyzed in a way by having more options, and what we think of as "freedom" will actually lead to more dissatisfaction. He introduces 2 types, maximizers and satisficers. Maximizers are those who evaluate every choice and make a rational decision based on all options evaluated. Satisficers are those who operate through bounded choice and settle on options that are "good enough". Schwartz suggests the maximizers are objectively better off but subjectively worse off.

Apply that to careers. Folks could search for the *perfect* career and attempt construct and maximize some sort of utility/happiness function for themselves. They could weigh the plethora of options like location, compensation package, quality of work environment etc. but they will always ask themselves the questions that several have asked in this thread and will continue to ask them to themselves through the course of their lives! These "what if" questions can be terrifying!

In my case I'm a graduating senior so there are theoretically a ton of options I could have, but here in the next couple weeks I fully intend to "satisfice" and pick a small private engineering firm in Golden over the big name "what if" offers I've received.

PreviousNext