Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Halfmoon Creek this time of year?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Halfmoon Creek this time of year?

Postby mikemalick » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:44 am

I am thinking about heading to the French Group for French, Frasco and Casco this weekend. Never been there before or to the Halfmoon Creek TH. Looking at info on 14ers I see if you want to go up a little further you need to cross Halfmoon Creek. Has anyone been across that creek in the past couple days or anyone know how deep the waters tend to run there this time of year? The last TH update on 14ers is from back in July. I have a Ford Escape and want to make sure I can get across. I suppose worst case I can park before the creek and cross on foot.

Thanks.

Re: Halfmoon Creek this time of year?

Postby smoove » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am

mikemalick wrote:I am thinking about heading to the French Group for French, Frasco and Casco this weekend. Never been there before or to the Halfmoon Creek TH. Looking at info on 14ers I see if you want to go up a little further you need to cross Halfmoon Creek. Has anyone been across that creek in the past couple days or anyone know how deep the waters tend to run there this time of year? The last TH update on 14ers is from back in July. I have a Ford Escape and want to make sure I can get across. I suppose worst case I can park before the creek and cross on foot.

Thanks.

Was up there on Saturday. You would probably be able to cross the creek right now--the water's not that deep. But you may only get 30 feet past that in your Escape. The road is heavily rutted in a short section and it was a little muddy as well. I could see you getting stuck there. We drove across the creek and basically parked right away. For French and Frasco (we skipped Casco because of the wind that day), the RT mileage was nearly 12.

Postby mikemalick » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks for the update smoove. I was kind of thinking I wouldn't be able to make it much past that point from other TRs so what you are saying seems to back that up. If I can cross, I'll be stopping just on the other side. Just trying to avoid fording the cold water on foot!

Your 12 mi r/t sounds close to what Roach says in his Colorado's Thirteeners book for this combo.

May be windy for me as well if I go through with it and it is certainly shaping up to be one to take microspikes/goggles along:

Friday - Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Breezy, with a south wind 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Friday Night - Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 17. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Saturday - Snow showers likely, mainly before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday Night - A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph.

Postby smoove » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:09 am

mikemalick wrote:Thanks for the update smoove. I was kind of thinking I wouldn't be able to make it much past that point from other TRs so what you are saying seems to back that up. If I can cross, I'll be stopping just on the other side. Just trying to avoid fording the cold water on foot!

Your 12 mi r/t sounds close to what Roach says in his Colorado's Thirteeners book for this combo.

May be windy for me as well if I go through with it and it is certainly shaping up to be one to take microspikes/goggles along:

Yeah, it was a little longer than we expected after reading Roach's description and numbers. But maybe we walked on the road farther. I'm pretty sure there's a log or something there that you'll be able to use to get across the creek if you decide not to drive across it.

We brought microspikes but didn't use them. But from the forecast, it sounds like there may be more snow to contend with this time!

Mike