Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fall Leaves Still Around?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Fall Leaves Still Around?

Postby traderaaron » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 am

Head south. Culebra's, Wet Mountains should still have some color, usually peaks first week of October, New Mexico soon to follow.

Postby peter303 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Looks like the Front Range- Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs is starting peak right now.
Maybe a peak-to-peak loop Boulder, Nederlands, Lyons could catch some of it.

Postby ketel1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:23 pm

I was just in Cuchara and La Veta and it is perfect there! Some leaves are starting to fall, but that adds to the charm of the trails...enjoy it, wherever you go!
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby Brian Thomas » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Fletch wrote:the closer, the better

I drove out of Dumver on 285 and came back on 70 last weekend, the leaves you seek are far, far away it seems. Here's some pics from the road between Marble and Crystal (do not drive the Honda CR-V between Marble and Crystal), posting links since files over 350K:

http://www.picpaste.com/2012-10-07_12-05-38_981-zEFZSGsu.jpg

http://www.picpaste.com/2012-10-07_13-06-18_789-qqX1GMpo.jpg

Driving along 133 from Marble toward Carbondale was very nice too.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Alpine » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 am

This past weekend they still looked great up in RMNP - at least around Moraine Park.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Postby WheelerDealer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 am

South San Juans should peak later this week.

Postby fleetmack » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:58 am

How is it down near Salida? Trying to plan a potential last-minute mountain get away... for once, a relaxing one where we do nothing. No 14er. No half-marathon. No "goal" other than to have fun and relax.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby johnF » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:32 am

fleetmack wrote:How is it down near Salida?

I was there this past weekend. Seemed to be about peak right around town. Some leaves yellowish brown, some leaves still somewhat green. Decent color but not great.

Driving up over Monarch Pass, there were some nice colors but also a lot of trees that were mostly bare. By this coming weekend there'll probably be little color left at that elevation. The little river valley south of highway 50 starting up toward Monarch Pass from Poncha Springs was very pretty.