RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by Bean »

That was great to read.

I just checked and the race is on Saturday June 29 next year. Who's in?
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

There are a bunch of us that are going to run it next year in memory of Rob. They announced the date for the race, but have not yet opened registration. Once they open it up, I'll start a separate thread for the race. And we'll organize a large group.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

I actually thought about Rob this weekend on a run in the Elks.

This is great to read. Dude was truly a beast. Wish I would of been more serious about running in college as he was.

Goes without saying, but I'm in.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

SummitKathy wrote: They announced the date for the race, but have not yet opened registration.
I think it was last week when I checked and the site said they were opening registration on November 1st. I'm not sure if that's still accurate, but I'll be signing up. Thanks, guys.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

SummitKathy wrote:There are a bunch of us that are going to run it next year in memory of Rob. They announced the date for the race, but have not yet opened registration. Once they open it up, I'll start a separate thread for the race. And we'll organize a large group.
Definitely keep me in the loop on this :)
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

siop wrote:I have been privileged to read and share Rob's Leadville Marathon race report. I thought some of you might be interested in reading it as well.

http://co-running.blogspot.com/2012/10/ ... rt-by.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for sharing.
Even more sad never to have met Rob, and that he didn't get to enjoy more great Colorado days like this, but thank you for sharing his enthusiasm from the great days he did get to spend out there. RIP.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Rob has been on my mind endlessly for the past month and half, and it's uplifting, at least to me, to see that there are so many others who continue to think about him.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

Fisching wrote:Rob has been on my mind endlessly for the past month and half, and it's uplifting, at least to me, to see that there are so many others who continue to think about him.
Greg, you're not alone in those thoughts. I didn't know him an inkling as well as you did, but I find myself on summits thinking, 'I wonder what Rob thought of this 14er...the climb, the views, the feeling of being on this summit.' I know, in some way, he is looking out for us as we climb.
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Found these Dale's Pale Ale cans at Watson's on 9th and Lincoln in Denver, and another guy said he found some in San Francisco. So they're in circulation if anyone wants a memorial can.
250400_10100242215984426_73604214_n.jpg
250400_10100242215984426_73604214_n.jpg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 6609 times
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

SurfNTurf wrote:Found these Dale's Pale Ale cans at Watson's on 9th and Lincoln in Denver, and another guy said he found some in San Francisco. So they're in circulation if anyone wants a memorial can.
250400_10100242215984426_73604214_n.jpg

I'm having my last Dale's right now... I'll check to see if any is up here in Fort Collins! What a cool tribute.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Cookiehiker wrote:
Fisching wrote:Rob has been on my mind endlessly for the past month and half, and it's uplifting, at least to me, to see that there are so many others who continue to think about him.
Greg, you're not alone in those thoughts. I didn't know him an inkling as well as you did, but I find myself on summits thinking, 'I wonder what Rob thought of this 14er...the climb, the views, the feeling of being on this summit.' I know, in some way, he is looking out for us as we climb.
I haven't heard anyone say a thing about Rob since, gosh, 6pm tonight?

Yup, hiking out of the Gallery at Shelf.

He certainly touched the lives of many.

Greg, Jeff, Rob - you guys were on our minds the whole afternoon.

Climb on, Rob...
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

If anyone is looking for Dale's with "Climb on Rob" on the bottom I know someone who has some extra cases.
Greg - Your not the only one bud. PS Get you ass back out to Colorado as soon as you can.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."