Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Canyoneering Fest Oct 19-21.

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Canyoneering

Postby vallejoclmbr » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 pm

I Man wrote:
Scott P wrote:Robbers Roost it is. We'll probably all camp at Granary Spring/"Motel 6" (which isn't a hotel) since it's easy to find. I'll post directions later.

I wouldn't mind trying the new canyon on Saturday and something else the next day. Maybe East Fork Bluejohn, High Spur, White Roost, or any not too long canyon. Lots of possibilities.

Blue John!

If I can heal my leg and work out the schedule, I would like to join for this.

I'm also lookin at doing this trip. Is there a front range carpool figured out yet?

Postby offman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm

I'll already be out near the Roost that weekend and would love to meet up for this trip.
I have rap equipment and comfortable on 5.9 but no rope gun.
Also, if anyone's interested I have room for one for the return trip to Denver Sunday night or early Monday morning.

Postby mtndude3737 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Scott, tell us what you want us to bring gearwise.

Granary Spring sounds good. There will be 3-4 in my group.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:21 pm

vallejoclimbr wrote:

I'm also lookin at doing this trip. Is there a front range carpool figured out yet?

A few of us have expressed interest in this. I would imagine we can work out the details as things get closer, but yes, definitely are people interested in a carpool

Postby Spiderzak » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:38 pm

I just caught wind of this and I'd love to do some canyons that weekend in the Roost! Count me in please.

Postby Scott P » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:27 am

Directions to meeting location:

From Green River, Utah take I-70 westbound for 11 miles to Exit #149 and Highway 24. Follow Highway 24 south from I-70 for 25 miles to mile maker 135.5 (1/2 mile beyond the turn-off to Goblin Valley State Park). The well-maintained dirt road on the east side of highway 24 is signed Rooster Flats and Hans Flat Ranger Station, turn east onto this dirt road.

This area is criss-crossed with roads. Stay on the road described until told to turn off of it. Follow the well-maintained dirt road for 24.3 miles until you come to a signed fork in the road with an information kiosk. The Left Fork leads to Horseshoe Canyon, the Right Fork leads to the Hans Flat Ranger Station. Take the Right Fork south for 7.1 miles to a signed fork in the road. Take the Left Fork toward the Hans Flat Ranger Station. Follow the road for 2.6 miles to a minor dirt road on the left. Follow the minor dirt road for 0.2 miles to several old line camp buildings. This is the Granary Spring Trailhead (N38° 20' 30", W110° 17' 33").

The Granary Spring Trailhead is the best place in the vicinity to camp. You will have to tolerate the occasional cow, which wanders through camp on its way to the spring for a drink. A carefully driven passenger car in good weather can usually reach the trailhead. However, the roads in this area are subject to the whims of the road grading crew so go prepared.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Re: Canyoneering Fest Oct 19-21.

Postby mtndude3737 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 pm

ARRRGGGHHHH, looks like I am out. Way too much going on that weekend. Hope you guys have a great trip and discover a new canyon!
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby mountaingoat-G » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:35 am

RE: carpooling,

Looks like I will be driving out after work on Friday October 19th (hopefully getting to camp around 10:00 PM), but not coming back till Wednesday October 24th. Probably won't work for carpooling :(

When are others planning on heading out ?
There will be other people from closer locations (Utah) going to this as well.

Postby Upstate Hiker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:47 am

I'd be down for this. Keep me filled in, please.

Postby catspajamas » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm interested. Coming from Colorado Springs. I'm a bit of a newbie but have some gear (mix of climbing and river stuff).

Postby mountaingoat-G » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:50 am

mountaingoat-G wrote:When are others planning on heading out ?

Any idea on this yet? Are there going to be a large number of people coming in very late friday night ? Sounds like that could lead to getting excluded the next day if plans are not made the evening before?

Scott,
when are the plans of what canyon to do usualy made?
thanks..

Postby Scott P » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 am

Scott,
when are the plans of what canyon to do usualy made?

You may want to have an idea before you go, but usually the plans are not finalized until we meet down there. Usually the night before. We've found out it works better that way because we can evaluate skills, equipment, time and conditions. Plus after the first canyon, people are either stoked for the next day, dead tired or beat up. It's best to have a flexible plan. If you want to do a tough one, it's best to do it on day 1 if you know the skills of your partners, but then again, there will be strangers there as well.

Make sure to be honest about your skills and don't kid yourself on this. On the other hand, if you are a beginner, don't be afraid to come either. I will be leading a beginner canyon on day 2. Others plan on doing one on day 1.

So far, here are some of the choices that people are interested in:

Advanced:

Alcatraz Canyon
Mind Bender
A new canyon (un-named so far)

Intermediate:

High Spur
Larry Canyon
No Mans Canyon
Not Mindbender
Red Spur
Water Canyon
White Roost

Beginner:

Bluejohn Canyon
Robbers Roost - North Fork
Buck

I'll start to get a head count, but expect the numbers to change as time gets closer. I'll post everything on the original post.

Who's still interested in going?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

PreviousNext