Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

rainbow trail info needed?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

rainbow trail info needed?

Postby man-U-mike » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm

would anyone have a good source for rainbow trail info such as detailed mileage (TH2TH) and reliable water-sources- running creeks, ponds or lakes?

tks, man-U-mike.

Re: rainbow trail info needed?

Postby dfrizzle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:09 pm

If i can find where we got our info a year ago,I'll post it or pm you. If i remember, from monarch to the campground is 30 or 32 miles. Lots of creek crossings after about 7 miles....would just depend on the flow this time of year. Beautiful hike with lots of great views the whole way.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:55 am

The book "Hiking Colorado's Sangre de Cristo Wilderness" by Jason Moore has mile-by-mile details and elevation profiles for the whole trail from Poncha Pass to Medano Pass. It appears that the price of this 2003 guide has been "roached", starting at over $50 on Amazon, but maybe you can find a copy in some local bookstore.

The book's facebook page says there will be a new edition next spring, if you can wait.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Tufftommy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 am

I've been working on a mileage chart this year keeping track of distances from water sources and trailheads and side trails. Mileage is off my GPS watch so it's reasonably accurate. I've done the first 60 + miles from the south terminus at CR 412 to Hayden Creek TH. I only considered water sources that flowed enough to be year-round. I can say from the sections I have done it's never more than 4 miles between streams and typically a mile at most. If that part of the trail is of interest to you - PM me your e-mail address and I can send you the Excel file I have... Tom
Last edited by Tufftommy on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:22 pm

I have info from that point ^^^ up to where the Rainbow Trail branches off west on Bushnell Lakes Trail (and all the way up to the lakes) and to the junction with Stout Creek Lakes Trail, to the southwest - and all the way to those lakes, too. Nothing north of the Rainbow-Stout Lakes trails junction though... if you need something specific let me know.

Postby man-U-mike » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 pm

thanks to all for quick response. I have have now done approx 3/4 of the trail (using map & compass) and thought that someone has probably logged trail using GPS and also identified sound water sources. And Jim, I do already have the Sangre de Cristo wilderness hiking book that you refer to but I was thinking that the book did not really cover the water sources. man-U-mike