Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

First Pair of Skis

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

First Pair of Skis

Postby mts4602 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:49 am

I need some help purchasing my first pair of downhill skis. I am a beginner. I've skied a few times and I can at least get myself down the mountain, but I have mostly been a snowboarder for the last 10 years and my skiing level is quite low. Looking at the types and descriptions I would think I'd want/need All Mountain Skis...not powder, wide, etc.. and that I'd probably want a ski that I can have some room to improve in, not a ski that I'd grow out of too quickly.

My biggest problem is what size ski do I need?? I am 5' 6" and weigh about 125. I live in KY so there isn't whole lot of places to buy skis and ask advice from people who know what they are talking about.

I'm more looking at the type and size of ski, not specific brands/models, but feel free to suggest.

Thanks!

Matt
Matt

Re: First Pair of Skis

Postby mts4602 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:01 am

By the way I also used this website to calculate my ski size and it recommends 160cm??

http://frostyrider.com/tips/size-guide-skis.htm

I found these for pretty darn cheap on REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/823286/k2-amp-force-skis-with-bindings-mens-20112012
Matt

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:07 am

mts4602 wrote:I need some help purchasing my first pair of downhill skis. I am a beginner. I've skied a few times and I can at least get myself down the mountain, but I have mostly been a snowboarder for the last 10 years and my skiing level is quite low. Looking at the types and descriptions I would think I'd want/need All Mountain Skis...not powder, wide, etc.. and that I'd probably want a ski that I can have some room to improve in, not a ski that I'd grow out of too quickly.

My biggest problem is what size ski do I need?? I am 5' 6" and weigh about 125. I live in KY so there isn't whole lot of places to buy skis and ask advice from people who know what they are talking about.

I'm more looking at the type and size of ski, not specific brands/models, but feel free to suggest.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt, I think there are too many variables to recommend "Buying Gear" at this point in your skiing cycle. I would recommend renting "high end gear based on your level.

After you've skied a dozen days or so, graduate to the purchase of your own "boots only" not skis. With High end rental boots available you may want to stay with renting. If you are a good athlete you will be jumping from ski to ski as you improve. When your reach PSIA Skill level 6 then you can start thinking about the purchase
of gear. I would recommend NOT buying anything but boots until then.

■Level 6 Aspirations: Stay in the parallel position throughout turns, tipping and steering skis with feet to produce turns; begin learning pure edged turns and pure steered turns; use ski poles in varied ways, experience shallower powder and smaller bumps, adjust skiing speed at will regardless of slope angle or snow type, vary turn shape, optionally run gates. By level 6, start analyzing what you hear about skiing equipment and technique so you know it makes sense to you and "try it before you buy it". Your personal goals and body attributes may indicate special choices from the buffet available. Ski more difficult blue slopes.

Did that help?

Postby mts4602 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:58 am

Rock-a-Fella wrote:
mts4602 wrote:I need some help purchasing my first pair of downhill skis. I am a beginner. I've skied a few times and I can at least get myself down the mountain, but I have mostly been a snowboarder for the last 10 years and my skiing level is quite low. Looking at the types and descriptions I would think I'd want/need All Mountain Skis...not powder, wide, etc.. and that I'd probably want a ski that I can have some room to improve in, not a ski that I'd grow out of too quickly.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt, I think there are too many variables to recommend "Buying Gear" at this point in your skiing cycle. I would recommend renting "high end gear based on your level.

After you've skied a dozen days or so, graduate to the purchase of your own "boots only" not skis. With High end rental boots available you may want to stay with renting. If you are a good athlete you will be jumping from ski to ski as you improve. When your reach PSIA Skill level 6 then you can start thinking about the purchase
of gear. I would recommend NOT buying anything but boots until then.

■Level 6 Aspirations: Stay in the parallel position throughout turns, tipping and steering skis with feet to produce turns; begin learning pure edged turns and pure steered turns; use ski poles in varied ways, experience shallower powder and smaller bumps, adjust skiing speed at will regardless of slope angle or snow type, vary turn shape, optionally run gates. By level 6, start analyzing what you hear about skiing equipment and technique so you know it makes sense to you and "try it before you buy it". Your personal goals and body attributes may indicate special choices from the buffet available. Ski more difficult blue slopes.

Did that help?

Thanks, that does help. I had not really considered that... Will probably save me some money I'm sure.
Matt

Postby GregMiller » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:07 am

Totally second what Rock-a-Fella said. The first thing you'll want to buy is boots - you'll never find a pair of rental boots that fit your feet as well as a pair of boots fitted by a good shop (also, buy your boots somewhere that you'll be able to get the liners thermo-molded, and if you have weird feet, consider going to an actual boot-fitter). I skied on rental skies with my own boots for a couple years before I looked at buying skis. If you're going to be skiing regularly, I'd say to try to rent one model of ski for the first part of the season, so you get used to them and are comfortable on them, and know how they ski. Then start trying some different shapes of skis, and think about how the shape/sidecut, camber/rocker, and stiffness affect how they ride - this will help you know what you want in a ski.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby MuchosPixels » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:45 am

Hi!
I agree with what has been said. In fact, I purchased boots last year and it made a HUGE difference in my comfort and skiing enjoyment. Most rental boots are packed out and are colder and more uncomfortable than almost any boot you buy for yourself.

i dont recommend buying skis for several reasons: As you increase your level and style you want to change skis, as the terrain and snow conditions change you want to change skis. Sometimes that happens in a season! Thats why most people have more than one set of skis. That only makes sense if you are good and ski a lot of days of the year.

Postby mts4602 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:57 am

I'll be out to Colorado a few times in the next year so I'll look at purchasing some boots then :)
Matt

Postby jrsummit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:25 pm

It looks like I'll be the dissenting voice.

Definitely buy your own boots no matter how you decide to acquire skis. Go to a good bootfitter, there are plenty if you do your research. Boots are the most important piece of equipment.

As for skis...renting is an option. But the costs really add up. I work in a ski shop and I really am amazed by how much money we make on our rentals. $40 a day for good skis. You can definitely find rental deals, but after a while with the money you spend, you could have two pairs of skis.

I would buy a used pair of demo skis. We usually sell ours with bindings for around $150. Ride them while you learn and progress, then upgrade when you are ready. If you only ski a handful of days per year the skis will last a long time.

When you buy a new pair keep the old ones for rocks skis or a a loaner pair for friends.

The only upside I see to renting skis is that you don't have to worry about flying with them.