Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski the 14ers movie

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski the 14ers movie

Postby DurangoJenn » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Has anyone seen this? About Aspen's Chris Davenport skiing all 54 one winter a few years ago? I just saw it's going to be playing at the Durango Independent Film Fest tomorrow night. I think I might have to go check it out.

Re: Ski the 14ers movie

Postby 14erdude83 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm

have not seen it but, that is a must watch! that sounds pretty spectacular, wish i could make it down there for that

Postby ajkagy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:56 pm

i believe davenport had issues with releasing it due to the forest service law stating you can't profit off of pictures/video takin in national forest land. Last i heard he was still fighting it. I imagine very few people have seen the actual ski the 14ers movie?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Carl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:33 pm

ajkagy wrote:i believe davenport had issues with releasing it due to the forest service law stating you can't profit off of pictures/video takin in national forest land. Last i heard he was still fighting it. I imagine very few people have seen the actual ski the 14ers movie?

Last I heard (which has been awhile) you're spot on.

I have seen the movie and it's definitely worth checking out if you get the chance.

Postby DurangoJenn » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to try to check it out. Wondering how early I'll have to get there as I just realized it's part of the free screening night and the Adventure Sports Program: Extreme Adventure so I'm sure there will be crowds. There's another movie as part of the program called Point of No Return about three climbers who set out to climb the east face of Mt. Edgar in China, but whose lives were tragically claimed by a massive avalanche.

14erdude, the program doesn't start until 9 p.m. Plenthy of time to make it down from Crested Butte. :wink:

Postby GerryRigged » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:07 pm

I saw the movie one evening at the REI flagship store. Chris was supposed to do a slide show but for some reason the video equipment wouldn't read his CD so he stuck a DVD of the movie in and we watched it instead. It's a good movie so go see it if you can. BTW that evening was the inspirration for me to ski 14ers. I really didn't have much interest in climbing one in summer but the idea of climbing and skiing them really got my interest. This will be my forth season of climbing/skiing 14ers and I will say it is addicting. I'm rambling on.

Postby DurangoJenn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Made it to the movie and loved it. I think my favorite peak to see him ski was Pyramid. All the skiers in the movie were amazing and I really enjoyed the multigenerational focus during part of it.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:14 am

USFS needs to get over themselves, and give Davenport permission to distribute this movie, already. I think they've made their point by now (which was "ask before commercial filming in wilderness areas", not "no filming").
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby killingcokes » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Actually the issue wasn't about NF land it was wilderness land. You need a permit to shoot video/film in wilderness land. This was incorporated into the wilderness act. I believe that photos are ok. The forest service didn't like the use of a helicopter for filming the ski of Castle's East Face. They applied for the permit after the shooting was done and were rejected.

Not sure how they are showing it, but I know he has shown it at his personal events. I hope he gets/has it worked out, the skiing public would benefit from it.

Postby jmc5040 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Does anyone know if there has been any progress made towards releasing the movie? I would definitely love to see it!
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 pm

jmc5040 wrote:Does anyone know if there has been any progress made towards releasing the movie? I would definitely love to see it!

I think a mass release is dead at this point due to the forest service issue. I get the sense Dav has capitulated on the issue and moved on. Perhaps a few more one off showings at slideshow type events though.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby taylorzs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Killing Cokes, you are right. The issue was with filming on public lands, specifically filming for profit. Atleast that is what Dav said. He said that because of the way public lands are regulated, you can take pictures for profit, (ie Ski the 14ers book) but not video. He still made the video and it often finds its way into people's hands, if you are lucky. The existence of the video is completely legal. The filming of the video was done legally as well. Unfortunately, it would be illegal for him to release it as a movie. It could not be sold in stores or shown in movie theatres legally. No money can be collected for it. That is the problem and why it is not out and available to the general public. It is a kick ass movie though, if you get the chance to see it.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Next