Current Conditions on Longs....

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Current Conditions on Longs....

Post by jmanner »

Thanks for the opinions guys! I have the gear and the back to carry 'em, can't say I mind bringing them and not using them. Far better than needing and not having! #-o

I did the keyhole last October and having the crampons made for quick work of the trough, but there wasn't any ice or snow on the mountain besides that.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Nigel_Peppercock
14ers: 19 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nigel_Peppercock »

broncotw wrote:We are planning on attempting Long's Peak on October 8th via the Loft Route.... What can we expect in regards for weather (temperatures, wind, etc.)....

Thanks in advance.....
My neighbor is a climbing guide who was up there last weekend. He says all north-facing surfaces are icy and the Loft is not in good shape. Keyhole is good, so far.
FCSquid
14ers: 33 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

I was up in RMNP yesterday with the family and got a good look at the north-facing aspects. Although this picture doesn't show it, the Loft is snowed in now, as well as the Trough. It looks like everything above ~12,500 has a solid blanket of snow on it, now.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

I see Longs every day as I drive into Boulder from Longmont but alas the summit was engulfed in clouds and based on the weather down here I'm guessing that it's receiving a good dusting right now. If the clouds ease up tonight/tomorrow AM I'll post a picture.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Talked with a buddy who was up there yesterday scouting lamb slide to ski. Said it was pretty icy and sketch. Ankle breaking abounded around Chasm Lake.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voodoo302 »

Did Kiener's yesterday. Lamb's Slide is 6-12" of spindrift over ice ranging from bullet hard to really brittle and fracturing. Broadway and Kiener's both have quite a bit of snow on them. I wouldn't call it "winter" conditions but definitely prepare to be on snow for most of the climb. It's in that transitional stage where we were climbing in crampons but using rock pro because there wasn't any real ice.

The North Face cables descent is very snowy but actually easier to navigate because of the snow - less stumbling over rocks and such. I'll try to post some pics when I get home.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Not to hijack, but it's in the same vicinity.... What does Wild Basin look like? What about the areas with southern exposure?
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
DanR
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

Floyd wrote:Not to hijack, but it's in the same vicinity.... What does Wild Basin look like? What about the areas with southern exposure?
I attempted Meeker via Meeker Ridge yesterday. It was dry until above 12000, and even then there were only small patches of snow on eastward facing slopes. Here are some pictures I took - unfortunately I don't have any more zoomed in.

Isolation and Alice:

South towards Copeland and the Indian Peaks:

Longs:

Hope this helps!
Floyd
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

DanR wrote:
Floyd wrote:Not to hijack, but it's in the same vicinity.... What does Wild Basin look like? What about the areas with southern exposure?
I attempted Meeker via Meeker Ridge yesterday. It was dry until above 12000, and even then there were only small patches of snow on eastward facing slopes. Here are some pictures I took - unfortunately I don't have any more zoomed in.

Hope this helps!
Perfect, that's what I was hoping to see!
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Alan Arnette
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

Trail 100% dry to Chasm Lake. Loft Couloir has consistent cover not sure of the depth, probably not much.

The Diamond from today, October 4.
IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG (251.95 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
Attachments
IMG_1332.JPG
IMG_1332.JPG (217.33 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
FCSquid
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (9)

Post by FCSquid »

Just got a good look this morning while driving in to work (sorry, don't have a pic). There's a fresh blanket of snow on the whole massif and I think more expected tonight. Looks like easy climbing season's over now ...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

On my way into work this morning it was socked in with clouds. I'm assuming the "storm" up there will break by tomorrow at some point. I'll see if I can snap a picture, granted it's much farther away than some of these, just to give an idea of what it's looking like right now, or rather after this little weather pattern moves through.