Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Couple of amazing things recently

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Couple of amazing things recently

Postby SeracZack » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:03 am

Adam Ondra climbs first 5.15c
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67488

Kilian Jornet speed ascent of Mont Blanc
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67482

Couple of things for everyone here. Ondra is one of the best rock climbers in the world right now and has claimed the first ascent of Change (9b+) in Norway. This would be the hardest climb completed to date. The link also has a video of some of the early attempts that Ondra made on the route.

Jornet is not known in the mountaineering world as he is in the world of ultra running. The ascent of Mont Blanc from the Italian side is technically easier than the north face of the Eiger or the Matterhorn, but the objective hazards are much higher.

"Jornet started from the church in Courmayeur at roughly 1000m and ran the 3600m to the summit of Mont Blanc, then ran over 3600m down the French side arriving at the church in Chamonix in a total time of 8:43."

"He covered over 7,300m, climbing and running roughly 32km over glaciers, loose rock faces and miles of snow and ice slopes, all solo."

"Can you imagine what I could do if I had the physique of Kilian?" Steck told Rock and Ice.

People are amazing.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Re: Couple of amazing things recently

Postby metalmountain » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 am

:shock:

Welp...I suck...
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 am

I'm not much of a sport climber and find the grade pushing to be out of my range of interest.

Nevertheless, 15c is pretty amazing. I hope to see a video of it soon, but will listen to it with the sound off as I can't stand listening to Ondra scream and grunt.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby SeracZack » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Picture from a portion of the 5.15c climb. Wow.

The yelling and screaming...yeah I'd rather watch him with the mute button on as well.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby mrmuffins00 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:05 pm

metalmountain wrote::shock:

Welp...I suck...

Agreed you do suck! :lol:

Its ok though i apparently suck too 8)

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Fletch wrote:I thought that photo was from above, then I realized draws dont stick out from the mountain hortizontally. Holy Eff.

Whoooa! :shock:
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby GregMiller » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Why did people ever wonder what Spider-Man's alter ego was, because it's obviously this guy.

Postby lodgling » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Anton's FKT on Gannett seems to fit in this category.

Postby SeracZack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:28 pm

lodgling wrote:Anton's FKT on Gannett seems to fit in this category.

I would most certainly agree.

"total car-to-car time of 8:46:32"

Link for more info: http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/gannet-the-grand-a-wyoming-whirlwind-tour/
-Helen Keller

Postby smoove » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:05 am

Turns out Jornet does ok on our local mountains, too. He won this year's Pikes Peak Marathon. http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/kilian-jornet-2012-pikes-peak-marathon-champion-interview.html

Funny that he found Pikes hard because "it's so flat"--meaning he had to run the entire time.

Postby atalarico » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:12 am

Yeah, it is these accomplishments that help me feel OK with being average or mediocre. There's just no way you can every hope to reach that level and therefore there will always be someone better at what you're doing than you.

The ultra-runner crossover with mountaineering thing is getting a little out of hand. These people are asking for trouble by running up mountains like Long's with nothing more than running shorts, shoes, and two aluminum stakes for "traction". OK, so maybe I'm jealous too. =p

Postby JROSKA » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:29 pm

atalarico wrote:The ultra-runner crossover with mountaineering thing is getting a little out of hand. These people are asking for trouble by running up mountains like Long's with nothing more than running shorts, shoes, and two aluminum stakes for "traction". OK, so maybe I'm jealous too. =p

Careful . . . (lol) last winter, I posed what I felt was an innocent question about trail running, and it was perceived as criticism. I won't repeat what was replied to me; let's just say, trail runners don't like it when those of us "hikers" question why they do what they do.

Next