Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Avalanche Trailhead camping

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Avalanche Trailhead camping

Postby michaelgrundy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Has anyone camped at the Avalanche trailhead at Mt. Yale recently? I found an old thread in this forum that said there was a campsite or two across the road from the parking lot... is that still the case? I plan on camping out up there this Friday and was just trying to figure out where the best place to camp is for an East Ridge approach to Yale.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Avalanche Trailhead camping

Postby Papillon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:20 pm

There are many many dispersed sites along CR 306 near the Avalanche Gulch TH. They seem to be bunched into three big areas on the south side of the road. You should not have a problem getting a spot.

On a side note, the reek in the bathrooms at Avalanche is absolutely vicious. Consider yourself warned.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby michaelgrundy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Papillon wrote: On a side note, the reek in the bathrooms at Avalanche is absolutely vicious. Consider yourself warned.

I appreciate the warning. I just hope the wind isn't going to blow that stank around too much. :-& Guess I should consider finding a camp spot up-wind as much as possible.

Thanks!

Postby Papillon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:42 pm

You'll be fine in one of the sites. They are all along the creek there about 50 yards off the road. They are level enough to sleep in your car and roomy enough to pitch a tent. There are many rock ring firepits too. You'll be a two minute drive from the TH.

Good luck with Yale. The east ridge is a fun route.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby dehrlich101 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:53 pm

If you don't mind backpacking in a few miles. There is a nice camp spot right at 11,900 ft on the ridge crest were you turn left.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby thebeave7 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:56 am

Yep, there are several nice spots almost directly across from the Avalanche Gulch TH. Though I recall the spots a little further down the road toward the Denny Crk TH being nicer.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby michaelgrundy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the quick response.

I don't foresee any problems getting a spot this time of year, so hopefully I will have the pick of the litter!