Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Please stay on the trail.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Please stay on the trail. ACTION?

Postby TallGrass » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:25 am

MUni Rider wrote:there is not a lot of large rocks anywhere near the amount that would be necessary to fix one trail, let alone fill in the other 6.

Don't always need rocks as shown here on Uncompahgre and there are a variety of methods CFI and the like have successfully employed. These are neither new nor unsolved challenges.

Seriously, wouldn't it be nice to see the "Elbert combine trail" go to this:
then this
and eventually as it ages, flora rebounds, this? (Ok, the big lopsided boulder on the skyline would NOT be part of Elbert; that WOULD be too much work.)
Considering the last one lies between other twin-tracked (4x4) sections, I'd say that's a pretty good recovery!
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Re: Please stay on the trail.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 am

CFI knows about this trail; on their Mount Elbert page, they describe the south route as "very steep and in need of repair". It's probably on their long-term list, and if you watch this page they will probably have a project to improve it, eventually. In the meantime, you can work on other trails if you want to help out - they always need volunteers (as do other trails organizations - CFI isn't the only game in town). Obviously, they need to prioritize so they must feel this isn't bad enough to be put on this year's schedule.

I'd advise against trying to bootleg this project. Getting trained and experienced trail builders involved early will lead to a more sustainable trail in the long run.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:29 am

I agree.

Getting projects on the list takes time and partnership with the Forest Service. I don't think it would be a huge project but it will require more than just dropping a CFI "Hot Shot" crew in there for a short time. The area likely needs a re-design, including switchbacks and some materials dropped in for check-steps, water bars, etc.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby ajkagy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:40 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I agree.

Getting projects on the list takes time and partnership with the Forest Service. I don't think it would be a huge project but it will require more than just dropping a CFI "Hot Shot" crew in there for a short time. The area likely needs a re-design, including switchbacks and some materials dropped in for check-steps, water bars, etc.

+1, might take some time to get a proper design in place and get it approved.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby jdorje » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:45 am

After all the effort we went to to push this off topic, a single post manages to get everyone back to the original subject? What is this community coming to?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 am

jdorje wrote:After all the effort we went to to push this off topic, a single post manages to get everyone back to the original subject? What is this community coming to?

On it....

"Combine Trail"?

This is a Combine:
combine.jpg
combine.jpg (68.89 KiB) Viewed 295 times

This is a Disc Harrow:
one-pass-plow-03.jpg
one-pass-plow-03.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 295 times

So, lets call the Elbert Trail what it is, "the Disc Harrow Trail".

Know your farm implement, gentlemen.

I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby djkest » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 am

DeucesWild wrote:I always try to defer to the experts among us. In this case, I'm not a physician so I'll have to apply Mensa intuitive reasoning and get back to you both, Wildbobo and LooongPine.

Sorry, but this is bugging me; and I'm not even sure if this was intentional or not.
A physician practices medicine.
A physicist is a scientist who specializes in Physics.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 am

djkest wrote:
DeucesWild wrote:I always try to defer to the experts among us. In this case, I'm not a physician so I'll have to apply Mensa intuitive reasoning and get back to you both, Wildbobo and LooongPine.

Sorry, but this is bugging me; and I'm not even sure if this was intentional or not.

Oh man, you're sharp as a tack, Jester!

Please feel free to continue to correct by bad vocabularizations. I need all the help I can get in becoming a journeyman Mensan.

Thank you.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

DeucesWild wrote:
djkest wrote:

Oh man, you're sharp as a tack, Jester!

Please feel free to continue to correct by bad vocabularizations. I need all the help I can get in becoming a journeyman Mensan.

Thank you.

You are both wrong. A psychic specializes in physics.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:20 pm

tlongpine wrote:

Umm... :-k

A psychic ( /ˈsaɪkɪk/; from the Greek ψυχικός psychikos—"of the mind, mental") is a person who claims to have an ability to perceive information hidden from the normal senses through extrasensory perception (ESP), or who is said by others to have such abilities.

A physicist is a scientist who does research in physics.

Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:32 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:
tlongpine wrote:

Umm... :-k

A psychic ( /ˈsaɪkɪk/; from the Greek ψυχικός psychikos—"of the mind, mental") is a person who claims to have an ability to perceive information hidden from the normal senses through extrasensory perception (ESP), or who is said by others to have such abilities.

A physicist is a scientist who does research in physics.

See, that's what I mean! I love all these Mensanisms.

I learn something new everyday on here.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby TallGrass » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:19 pm

ajkagy wrote:might take some time to get a proper design in place and get it approved.

Oh, gee, you mean it will require effort and not be instantaneous?! :roll: North Maroon's trail was in the works for years, but wouldn't you say 1. it was worth it and 2. you're glad someone got the ball rolling?

Or do we wait until the trail is this wide? You don't have to be a physic to see that future coming! :wink:
(See, a John Deere 9870 STS Combine's front does bear resemblance with it's furrowed front. See these all the time here in KS.)

Are you an American or an American't? Image Are you a Coloradocan or a ... ok, skip that.

Sincerely yours,
a Kansan 14er
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

PreviousNext