Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Democrat Northern Routes

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Democrat Northern Routes

Postby Lemmiwinks » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:25 pm

On Sunday I attempted to do Decalibron from Lincoln Amphitheatre but was only able to do Lincoln because of the weather. I'd like to do the other three by a different route and Kite Lake doesn't appeal to me. If anyone has done one of the three northern routes on Democrat (Routes 10, 11, and 12 in Roach's book), are these routes any good and which would you recommend?

On another note, Lincoln Amphitheatre sucks! If anyone is considering doing this route, don't do it. I would never recommend someone endure that hellaciously steep route full of loose scree and loose talus.
Last edited by Lemmiwinks on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Re: Democrat Northern Routes

Postby leggaj5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:50 pm

I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm assuming one of those routes is the North Ridge. If it is, it is a fun route. Not too long of an approach and some fun Class 3 scrambling.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Lemmiwinks wrote:On another note, Lincoln Amphitheatre sucks! If anyone is considering doing this route, don't do it. I would never recommend someone endure that hellaciously steep route full of loose scree and loose talus.

That's a fun snow/ski route. Haven't seen it in summer.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby krs1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 am

Linconln Amphitheatre is a great way to do Lincoln in the spring time, you can get in an ice climb, snow climb, and bag a 14er. Sounds like you can get a ski descent as well. I'll have to carry the skis next time.

Postby randybear4 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:19 pm

One route you could try is the south face going up from lake emma.I did this Tueday morning the 2nd at around 1:oo a.m. There were clear skies with a bright full moon. Perfect conditions for a night climb. I picked a line up a gully near the center of the lake and went for it. It was a steep scramble up loose scree and boulders to the eastern summit ridge, then a walk up from there. I then completed the Lincoln summit and back down the standard trail to kite lake at around sunrise.

Postby rijaca » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:31 pm

randybear4 wrote:One route you could try is the south face going up from lake emma....a steep scramble up loose scree and boulders...

That sounds like fun. :roll:
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Uh, no. I wouldn't advise anyone to climb Democrat's south gullies without solid snow coverage.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby SteveBonowski » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Kite Lake to the Cameron/Democrat saddle remains the only legally open route on Democrat.