Wilson/Wilson/Wilson Peak/el Diente Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
realhillboarding
14ers: 58  15  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Wilson/Wilson/Wilson Peak/el Diente Conditions

Post by realhillboarding »

second that bump - El Diente looks dry on that Dunton Hot Springs webcam, but I'm not too excited about spending another 16 hours in the car unless I'm really sure it is dry :?
cmdsuperstar
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cmdsuperstar »

I've been calling back to Jagged Edge in Telluride and as of yesterday they're reporting that Wilson is still knee deep w snow. But, they think there will be some melting over the next few days.
KenE
14ers: 31 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KenE »

Southern exposures around Telluride are quite clear, but northern still hold snow. I just took a look at the Wison range from Telluride and there is snow on the Navajo basin side. How much I can't say, but it's there.

I'll be checking for you this week. Didn't have my camera with me.

Ken
What do you call a guy like me up here
More than a hiker, but not quite a mountaineer
The thighs labor and the breathing is hard
I hold high places in the highest regard
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

Thanks for the update Ken. We are hoping to drive down Friday afternoon so any additional feedback prior to then would be great.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/
realhillboarding
14ers: 58  15  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by realhillboarding »

Thanks for the updates!
KenE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KenE »

Concerning Kilpacker. Keep in mind that on the traditional El Diente route from Kilpacker that you are on the Navajo Basin side for a the final part of the route and have to cross a steep narrow couloir. Again, I can't tell all that much from this far away. Just reporting what I can see. I'll try to get a "zoomed" photo tomorrow.

Ken
cmdsuperstar
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cmdsuperstar »

KenE wrote:Concerning Kilpacker. Keep in mind that on the traditional El Diente route from Kilpacker that you are on the Navajo Basin side for a the final part of the route and have to cross a steep narrow couloir. Again, I can't tell all that much from this far away. Just reporting what I can see. I'll try to get a "zoomed" photo tomorrow.

Ken
Thanks for the updates Ken!
KenE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KenE »

Do you know how to upload a photo to a post? I took a couple of photos. They don't show El Diente proper, but you can see part of the ridge between Mt. Wilson and El d.

There is still snow up there. My thoughts are that it could be getting quite slushy by the time you get to the Navajo Basin side. Also, I remember walking that part, looking down and thinking that it felt quite secure, but only a couple of feet away it was serious exposure.

I personally don't do much in snow so am not a really good resourse, but it would make me nervous.

Ken
KenE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KenE »

[*]

This doesn't have El Diente proper, but does show a good portion of the Navajo Basin side of the ridge between Mt. Wilson and El D.

Hope it helps.

Ken
Attachments
006.JPG
006.JPG (102.83 KiB) Viewed 541 times
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Thanks Ken. When was this taken and what side of the mountain is that?
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
KenE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KenE »

I took this about noon today. This is the ridge above Navajo Basin. If you were looking at a photo from Telluride of Wilson Peak this is the ridge behind and to the left.

Ken
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

kushrocks wrote:Thanks Ken. When was this taken and what side of the mountain is that?
As Ken notes, this shows the slopes above Navajo Basin, so north side. From the digital date on the picutre, it was taken today.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song