Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

how to plan ?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: how to plan ?

Postby BobbyFinn » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:33 pm

I was up to the Grays/Torreys TH a couple weeks ago. The road is fine for 2WD.

Another option would be Lindsay one day and California another (Sangres).

Belford/Oxford day 1, Hope &/or Quail day 2 (Sawatch) (check for TH status if it snows a lot).

Sherman day 1, Horseshoe &/or Sheridan day 2 (Mosquito).

Democrat/Lincoln/Cameron/Bross day 1, Buckskin day 2 (Mosquito).

Humboldt day 1, Marble or Colony Baldy day 2 (Sangres) (it's almost the same TH, but the road was getting rough earlier this year, check the TH status).

There are a bunch of options. But Grays & Torreys can be done as a combo hike (just 1 day). If you want to hike another day at the same place, Kelso Mountain could work - or Edwards.

Bob
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby nutan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm

BobbyFinn wrote:I was up to the Grays/Torreys TH a couple weeks ago. The road is fine for 2WD.

Another option would be Lindsay one day and California another (Sangres).

Belford/Oxford day 1, Hope &/or Quail day 2 (Sawatch) (check for TH status if it snows a lot).

Sherman day 1, Horseshoe &/or Sheridan day 2 (Mosquito).

Democrat/Lincoln/Cameron/Bross day 1, Buckskin day 2 (Mosquito).

Humboldt day 1, Marble or Colony Baldy day 2 (Sangres) (it's almost the same TH, but the road was getting rough earlier this year, check the TH status).

There are a bunch of options. But Grays & Torreys can be done as a combo hike (just 1 day). If you want to hike another day at the same place, Kelso Mountain could work - or Edwards.

Bob

WOW that's a good info, i will check out, thanks for your help.

Postby JROSKA » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:01 pm

nutan wrote:
peter303 wrote:Elbert and Massive on separate days while camping along side Halfmoon road.
Nearly all the formal campgrounds with water and toilets have pretty much closed for the winter now.

Late October may or may not be winter-technical depending on how much snow we get in the next two weeks. It may snow of Wednesday and Friday of this week. Winter-technical means you should have snowshoes, microspikes, maybe skis, ice axe, avalanche shovel, avalanche beacon, avalanche poles and experience in using all these.

:? :?
i have no experience using any of the snow tools you mentioned, but thanks for your heads up.

Just my two cents - take the "winter gear" advice very seriously. After one summer of hiking 14ers, I nonchalantly attempted Mt. Bierstadt as my first winter climb, and was woefully under-prepared in terms of gear. I ended up getting into a bad situation (not life-threatening, but still bad). I learned the hard way that "Winter Climbing" is a completely different sport than "Summer Climbing".

Postby BobbyFinn » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:11 pm

JROSKA wrote:Just my two cents - take the "winter gear" advice very seriously. After one summer of hiking 14ers, I nonchalantly attempted Mt. Bierstadt as my first winter climb, and was woefully under-prepared in terms of gear. I ended up getting into a bad situation (not life-threatening, but still bad). I learned the hard way that "Winter Climbing" is a completely different sport than "Summer Climbing".

I agree 100%.
It's a fine line, but don't bring/wear too much or you'll get sweaty and then cold. Dress in layers. Experience helps you know what you need. You could be good with a base layer and a soft shell. Or maybe you'll need a lot more. Depends on the day and how hot you run.

Good boots are important in the cold/snow. And don't be afraid to turn around if you get too cold.

Also, chemical hand warmers are awesome in the winter. Start them up before you need them - they seem to need heat to generate heat...

Bob
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby Dex » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:22 pm

nutan wrote:Hi guys,

The whole of the forum is so informative and i can't wait to climb my first 14er. I am planing to do this with m 2 of my buddies around the end of October. This will be our first 14er/13er. After researching all the forum and i still have questions regarding camping and planing different trials.
We are planing to do it over a weekend (the whole 2 days of it). so, are their any THs where we can hike on the first day (reach a summit), camp for the night at TH, again hike for the 2nd day.? What would be suggestible for first timers.?

Do you have the equipment for cold weather hiking, camping and for emergencies?

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USCO0235
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby nutan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Dex wrote:
nutan wrote:Hi guys,

The whole of the forum is so informative and i can't wait to climb my first 14er. I am planing to do this with m 2 of my buddies around the end of October. This will be our first 14er/13er. After researching all the forum and i still have questions regarding camping and planing different trials.
We are planing to do it over a weekend (the whole 2 days of it). so, are their any THs where we can hike on the first day (reach a summit), camp for the night at TH, again hike for the 2nd day.? What would be suggestible for first timers.?

Do you have the equipment for cold weather hiking, camping and for emergencies?

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USCO0235

I am looking at 20F rated sleeping bag n tent equipment.

Postby michaelgrundy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:52 pm

I recommend a sleeping bag that is rated lower than that. In my personal experience, a 0 degree bag is comfortable with the outside temp down to around 10 - 15. I dont think I would want to do a 0 degree bag IN 0 degree weather.

Postby Scott P » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:55 pm

I am looking at 20F rated sleeping bag n tent equipment.

You might be OK, but you might freeze as well. Temperatures can approach 0 in late October.

Anyway, there is a winter prep gathering in late October:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37784

If it fits your schedule, you may want to come to that.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby nutan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:57 pm

mgrundy wrote:I recommend a sleeping bag that is rated lower than that. In my personal experience, a 0 degree bag is comfortable with the outside temp down to around 10 - 15. I dont think I would want to do a 0 degree bag IN 0 degree weather.

gotcha, will go for it.

Postby Dex » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm

nutan wrote:
mgrundy wrote:I recommend a sleeping bag that is rated lower than that. In my personal experience, a 0 degree bag is comfortable with the outside temp down to around 10 - 15. I dont think I would want to do a 0 degree bag IN 0 degree weather.

gotcha, will go for it.

It isn't only the bag, you have to get a good pad.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby michaelgrundy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Dex wrote:It isn't only the bag, you have to get a good pad.

+1

A good pad makes a huge difference!!!

Postby Randy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:30 am

Given what you stated for experience Id take Lindsey OFF you rlist for this trip.

PreviousNext