Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Skiing

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

14er Skiing

Postby hawkeye533 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:57 am

Hey anyone know (tell the future) what 14er will have the best snow for skiing in the next 2-3 weeks? Or I guess any kind of info on good 14ers to ski would be nice.

Thanks!

Re: 14er Skiing

Postby ajkagy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:07 am

the forecast is calling for continued sunny and mostly dry conditions for at least another week or two. Even if we got a decent snow storm, most likely there wouldn't be enough coverage to ski a 14er. There's usually skiable stuff by late Oct, but not necessarily on 14ers.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby bodhidharma » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:39 am

Chris Davenport was able to ski Bross in Oct when he skied all 54 within a year. But, conditions were just right to be able to do that and I would suspect Bross is not usually skiable until spring.

Having said that I am paying attention... If we get one huge dumping of snow there could be a window before the layers and instability arrive.
"But whether or not one can live with one's passions, whether or not one can accept their law, which is to burn the heart they simultaneously exalt - that is the whole question." Albert Camus

Postby ajkagy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 am

bodhidharma wrote:Chris Davenport was able to ski Bross in Oct when he skied all 54 within a year. But, conditions were just right to be able to do that and I would suspect Bross is not usually skiable until spring.

Having said that I am paying attention... If we get one huge dumping of snow there could be a window before the layers and instability arrive.

yea Oct is always a crap shoot...although I think i'd rather see a dry Oct and some really big back to back dumps in Nov so we actually have decent stability this winter.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Bean » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 am

ajkagy wrote:yea Oct is always a crap shoot...although I think i'd rather see a dry Oct and some really big back to back dumps in Nov so we actually have decent stability this winter.

It would be nice if it stayed dry until late and then just snowed and snowed and snowed...but the odds of that happening in Colorado are miniscule. Even if it starts off that way, a couple cold clear weeks and we're back where we always are. Here's hoping against hope, I suppose. Otherwise, meadowskipping it is until spring rolls around.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 am

bodhidharma wrote:Chris Davenport was able to ski Bross in Oct when he skied all 54 within a year. But, conditions were just right to be able to do that and I would suspect Bross is not usually skiable until spring.

Thats because Mother Nature adheres to Davenport's schedule, not the other way around. Dav simply willed it and MN provided whatever he needed. Thats how he rolls and one of the wonders of the modern world.

To the OP - as stated before, wait till late winter or Spring to hit the 14ers. Jones Pass usually provides some nice early season turns.

Postby Carl » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:46 am

bodhidharma wrote:Chris Davenport was able to ski Bross in Oct when he skied all 54 within a year.

November 11, 2006.

Postby COBuckeye » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 am

lordhelmut wrote:
Thats because Mother Nature adheres to Davenport's schedule, not the other way around. Dav simply willed it and MN provided whatever he needed. Thats how he rolls and one of the wonders of the modern world.

To the OP - as stated before, wait till late winter or Spring to hit the 14ers. Jones Pass usually provides some nice early season turns.

Sounds like somebody is still bitter about their weather window (or lack thereof) in the PNW as compared to Dav's!
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby taylorzs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Africa bowl still holds snow year round (pretty sure anyway). It is on the northeast side of Mt. Massive. Long approach for not a lot of turns and nothing resembling a summit descent. It can still make for a good time though. I used to make a yearly trip there, every October. Hit it too early and the icy sun cups are sketchy, too late and you have serious avalanche potential on the slope. It is probably the best bet for October skiing on a 14er though.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:33 pm

lordhelmut wrote:

This made me smile. Thanks for that. Jones Pass sucks early, please don't go there. :-D
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Please, people, don't you know it's best to keep off the mountains until June?! That includes Jones Pass, BP and any bc within a 20 mile radius of Summit County. :-"
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby gb » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Bean wrote:
It would be nice if it stayed dry until late and then just snowed and snowed and snowed...but the odds of that happening in Colorado are miniscule. Even if it starts off that way, a couple cold clear weeks and we're back where we always are. Here's hoping against hope, I suppose. Otherwise, meadowskipping it is until spring rolls around.

Rare, yes, but it happened as recently as 07-08

Late November:

A week later and it didn't stop all December:

Best year ever. Hoping it happens again, even if it isn't necessarily likely.