Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Back from the Andes-here are some photos

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Postby MtHurd » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:14 am

Call the health department, that place should be shut down.

Here's their web page.

Houston Department of Health and Human Services
Bureau of Consumer Health Services
8000 North Stadium Drive, Suite 200
Houston, TX 77054

Phone: 713.794.9200
Fax: 713.794.9457

Postby shanahan96 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 am

[quote="Scott Patterson]We only made the Veintemilla summit of Chimborazo, which is 43 meters/141 feet lower than the true summit.[/quote]

despite not being the main summit on chimborazo, isn't veintemilla your first 20,000 foot summit? and probably your altitude record?

jamie

Postby Yog » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:23 pm

Scott, awesome pictures! Glad you made it back safe....sorry to hear of the food poisoning. That really sucks! Hopefully you called the Health Dept on them....
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:32 pm

Thanks for posting the pics Scott! I hope to get down that way in the next couple years and these images are definitely helping to provide inspiration!

Sorry about the food poisoning, with you and Barry both getting sick from the same place they definitely should be called on.

Postby skier25 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:06 pm

Man, you must have had an awesome time down there. Seems like an incredible place. I need to go somewhere... I've been here too long. Let me come next time!
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby thebear007 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Funny, I also once got a serious case of food poison from mexican food in Houston. Six years ago right before I left for my Rio De Janeiro trip. I was sick for three weeks and lost almost 70 lbs before I recovered. Never eaten a beef burrito since. :roll:

Nice pictures! I am impressed and want to get down there in a year or so to explore Manchu Pichu, Patagonia and Aconcagua.
The Year of 007

Postby Scott P » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:54 pm

despite not being the main summit on chimborazo, isn't veintemilla your first 20,000 foot summit? and probably your altitude record?

Yep, it was 20,561 feet and my highest so far.

The initial purpose of the trip didn't quite work out however. The initial purpose was to try and get my wife more interested in glacier climbing and she thought it would work too. In that sense, it didn't work, but I can't blame her. There are things that she likes that I don't and everyone is different.

Kim loves trekking and scrambling, but just isn't interested in technical mountains. It was however a good way to find out if she was ready to try again and we both had a very good time together and we are both glad we went.

Postby sstrauss » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:46 pm

Did you guys go with a guided group or were you doing all the guiding? Just curious how you picked these mountains and routes?

amazing photos!
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach

Re: Back from the Andes-here are some photos

Postby Wuldier » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:10 pm

Scott Patterson wrote:Since some have wanted to see my photos from my latest trip to the Andes, I posted some in an album below.

http://www.summitpost.org/album/262841/ ... -2007.html

I hope you enjoy them. :D

scott i wish that name scott would bring me as much luck as it has to you, 1200+ summits....and beautiful locations such as this, congratz on such awesome accomplishments and good luck for future summits. :D
ImageImage

Previous