Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter ski mountaineering partners

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Winter ski mountaineering partners

Postby GravityPilot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:42 am

If anyone is around Summit County look me up, I am always keen to meet new folks.

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:24 pm

I just started hiking 14ers this summer but would love to climb some in the winter. I have a lot of experience in cold weather thanks to Fort Drum, NY and the 10th MTN division. I've been skiing since I was 5 so no concerns about the way down the mountain and any difficulties on the way up, I can push through as long as I'm with experienced winter climbers who know when to stop lol. I still need to get some gear for winter climbs but if anyone wants to go, PM me.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 pm

shaunster_co wrote:I'm always looking for others to ride with. I ride a splitboard with Dynafits and AT boots, and have been through Level One. I am typically in the IPW or RMNP area but it depends where the snow is best. I typically stay off of steep aspects until spring consolidates it. But occasionally if the conditions are right, I will do it any time. Would be fun to meetup with others for day trips or hut trips.

p.s. Chuck, always up to meet a fellow splitter. I too will be at the SSKP at Bent Gate tonight.

~shaun

Shaun,

Can you PM me a photo of that setup? I am very interested. Have you tested it yet? We have been talking about this idea for a while. And I am always up for getting out with new folks as well, but many probably know that. :)
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby XC Snowboarder » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:39 am

Shaun,
I would love to see some pics of your setup too. I ride Sparks and couple different boots. I just picked up a pair of AT boots so I will looking to get that system tuned up this winter/spring. When it starts snowing we should try to get a group out. I am based out of Golden.

Postby shaunster_co » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:19 pm

RoanMtn / XC Snowboarder, so I don't hijack Chuck's thread - I created a new topic with the Splitboard and AT Boots / Dynafit modification.
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=37829#p455798

Postby clemsonmtneer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:37 am

I am down to meet more backcountry partners this winter as well, as most of my ski partners only ride the resorts. I play it conservatively when it comes to avalanche danger, and usually stick to lower angle, gladed terrain during the winter, but will get after it on big peaks and steeper couloirs during the spring (definitely planning on Dead Dog this spring, for example). Like to ski Butler Gulch, Berthoud, etc. but last year spent more time doing tours in the IPW to explore new terrain and avoid I-70. Mostly have weekends free, and might have some Fridays free this winter. Feel free to PM me if looking for a partner once the snow arrives, can't wait to explore more terrain this great state has to offer.

Postby GerryRigged » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Hey all,

I would really like to get out with some of you this year.
I am into 14er ski decents but will always do something else.
I would like to get past the half way mark on 14ers this year if possible.
i still have a few in the Sawatch and would like to get back to the SJs this year also.
I'm always up for Silverton too. I like that place.

Postby Stevo68 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 pm

I'm down for some Lamb Slide I've done it 3 times in the past two years got all my backcountry gear. Definitely awesome all the trips were solo because I don't know anyone.

Postby ulvetano » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Wow, tons of backcountry enthusiasts out there - love it. Well, hopefully this thread helps to connect some partners.
I bought a Loveland 4 pack, also plan on a day at Silverton with another couple at the pass, and some days in Jackson.
For those that test their skills at Silverton - be prepared to group yourself appropriately - one side is experts, one side intermediate. Last year I got stuck in a group where 4 of the 6 were sucking wind on the hike up, and not happy skiing the billboard and wanted low angle stuff...???
Shaun is going to book a hut for us (right S??)
I'm mostly skiing on the weekends, but will maybe get a few days midweek.
Thanks for all the pm's. I just need to catch up with responses.

Postby maddiephil » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 pm

I've skied my whole life and am a very strong alpine skier, but am definitely a ski mountaineering newbie. I would LOVE to meet some people to back country ski with and am loving the idea of mixing it with 14ers. I have all of my own avy gear, and have explored a bit, but would like to get more adventurous, out of bounds, and increase my skill level. I mostly can only go on the weekends, but hope to get up when the powder really dumps. Please feel free to reach out if anyone wants to ski this season. I'm so excited!!! (So sad I missed the Bent Gate event though).

Postby sherpasmith » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:22 am

Tomorrow night is the Denver gathering. That would be a great place for folks on this thread to meet if you can make it.

Postby jmc5040 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 am

sherpasmith wrote:Tomorrow night is the Denver gathering. That would be a great place for folks on this thread to meet if you can make it.

Are you referring to the Denver happy hour? If so, I'll be there and would like to meet some of you.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

PreviousNext