Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Postby sunny1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 am

Many adults struggle for years to find their "True Self" - so if you find it high in the Tibetan Mtns, that'd be an occasion to celebrate! :iluvbeer:

People are complex, life is complex. It's likely you can find bits of your "True Self" in many places and situations.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby NickJ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 am

sunny1 wrote:Many adults struggle for years to find their "True Self" - so if you find it high in the Tibetan Mtns, that'd be an occasion to celebrate! :iluvbeer:

People are complex, life is complex. It's likely you can find bits of your "True Self" in many places and situations.

Very well-stated.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Is the problem that Scott's true self has erectile dysfunction?

Postby Dex » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

sunny1 wrote:Many adults struggle for years to find their "True Self" - so if you find it high in the Tibetan Mtns, that'd be an occasion to celebrate! :iluvbeer:

If you want to find yourself; much of the answer can be found in who you were prior to about 13 or 15. We tend to loose ourselves in adolescence, school and work.

Ask any parent and they will tell you that the personalities of their children haven't changed past the age of 8 or so.

Nature set it up this way. It hasn't caught up with the modern age.

Life expectancy prior to the industrial revolution was 35 - 40.
Childhood - up to 15
Parent/child rearing 15-30
Old age 30-40
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby DeucesWild » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:03 pm

I bet if most people were to drink one of those dark beers in Tibet, they wouldn't find themselves. They'd just be pretty freakin' hammered.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby uwe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:37 pm

How would I feel?
About finding my twin?
Pretty dang awesome.
Been looking for him a long time.

Postby Iguru » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:32 pm

I am sure alot of people are better off not knowing their "true" self. ( :oops: )
But for those who have been directed inward, warmest wishes for what you see.
Whatever your inspiration, self realization is always a good thing, even if it can be depressing at times.
But don't beat yourself up over "societal" expectations, such as marriage, or 6 figure salary, etc.

Life just got way better for me. I retired. \:D/
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby taylorzs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:09 pm

A little bit recently. I have been in school part time the last couple years, but just returned to school full time this semester and moved from Avon (by Vail for those who do not know) down to Denver. I am taking 17 credits of science classes this semester and should graduate with a degree in neuroscience this upcoming summer. After that, I have one more year of schooling to finish nursing school and then I have a little more freedom again.
Before this year, I made 60+K a year waiting tables in a fine dining restaurant. I traveled to foreign countries and took 4-6 week long vacations every six months. I have had a blast with it. My job allowed me income and time off to become a pretty decent mountaineer and do/learn some amazing things. Unfortunately, I grew to hate my job. Over time, no amount of fun in your free time makes up for working a job you hate. So now I find myself buried in school work (I do enjoy learning, but being taken away from mountains all the time is difficult).
For me atleast life is about balance, particularly in three things; time to do the things you love (be they work or play related), money to provide the lifestyle you want (mostly to climb the mountains you want), and a job/career that you enjoy. For me, critical care/emergency nursing (hopefully eventually flight nursing) fits the career needs of money, time off, and having a job that is stimulating and enjoyable.
I do find myself wondering though, quite often recently, what I am doing when I find myself cancelling plans with friends to go climb mountains in favor of locking myself in a room all weekend to study. ](*,) You have to keep your eye on the prize though. I was working a job I did not like, so now I am sacrificing some mountain time over the next two years to change the part of my life I was not happy with. For the first time in my life I am adjusting to the substandard weekend warrior lifestyle. It is quite a weird feeling.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby MOJO8800 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:01 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:Hell no. If this girl ever met that girl up there on that cliff, she would push her off - and put us both out of our miseries. But she would probably steal her wallet first... and see if there was any good snacks in that briefcase. Might snag the paper, too, for her next potty break.

Love it and agree!!

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:15 pm

I think in my case it's more like I run into my inner child when I'm enjoying the outdoors. I see the side of me that never wanted to come in at night when it was time to go to bed. :-D
Attachments
KidJenny.jpg
KidJenny.jpg (70.68 KiB) Viewed 338 times
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Tortoise1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Lionel Terray was a great mountaineer and a French hero, but he also had the humility and self awareness to title his autobiography "Conquistadors of the Useless". Great title, and great book too.

Postby tehchad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Not even a little bit. It's actually the opposite for me.

PreviousNext